• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Can you use the Acrobat SDK/Javascript without the Adobe Acrobat Product?

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a developer and work with a documentation team that generates PDFs and then a set of PDX/idx files to seach all the documents.  I see there seems to be a way to rebuild the index (idx) from the javascript console/SDK.  Is the SDK portable to the point where I can call/use this on a remote build server without a licensed version of Adobe Acrobat or does use of the SDK/Javascript console require a licensed version of the Acrobat desktop application?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JavaScript model is specifically for Acrobat. The Acrobat license does not allow it to be used on a server.

However, I'm pretty sure that the stand-alone Adobe PDF SDK, which can be used on a server, also implements the non-UI parts of the JS model. You can purchase a license for this tool through DataLogic

That said, the Acrobat JS model provides a way to build catalog files because it's a feature of Acrobat. I don't think this is a general part of the PDF SDK.  Although Datalogics or some other third party developer may provide a tool for doing this. I think you would be better served by looking in that direction.  

Just a note, I don't use idx files so I'm not up to date on the status of this technology, but I'm not sure they are still in use.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pretty sure that you're right; never seen any reference to PDF index files anywhere outside Acrobat. Don't think it's in the Adobe PDF SDK.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines