• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining two fields into one

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I’m creating a document with multiple forms. I’m having issues with combining the natural mother’s name and natural father’s name in a field.

On one form the names are three separate fields so I have named the fields as follows for mom’s complete name: NMFirst, NMMiddle, NMLast.

I did the same for the father’s name: NFFirst, NFMiddle, NFLast.

On another form there is one field for each parent’s complete name. For the mother I combined all three fields into one, naming that field NMName.

Again the same was done for the father, I named that field NFName.

Here is where I have run into an issue. Another form is a letter and in the address block it should have the mother’s complete name and the father’s complete name.

This is my coding:

var nm = this.getField("NMName").valueAsString;   //natural mother’s full name

var nf = this.getField("NFName").valueAsString;     //natural father’s full name

if (nf =="")event.value = nm;    //if no natural father, show natural mother’s name only

else event.value = nm + " and " + nf;   //this should show natural mother’s name and natural father’s name

This works fine until there is no natural father’s name and the result is the natural mothers name and the word “and”

Example: Megan Michelle Wright and

I’ve been looking at this for a while and trying different things to remove the word “and” but I think I’m just stuck. Thank you.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this code:

if (nf=="" && nm=="") event.value = ""; //if nothing is entered, show nothing

else if (nf=="" && nm!="") event.value = nm; //if no natural father, show natural mother’s name only

else if (nf!="" && nm=="") event.value = nf; //if no natural mother, show natural father’s name only

else event.value = nm + " and " + nf; // show both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67m thank you for the code you provide, however I get the same result of: Megan Michelle Wright and

when there is no father's name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange... Are you sure the field is completely empty? If it has even a single space character in it, it's no longer considered empty.

Also, where did you place the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the field is empty and I placed the coding under the Custom calculation script area of the Calculation tab of the text field property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file with us (via Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud,

etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test and when I use only the mother's first name (NMFirst) and father's first name (NFFirst) fields the coding works.

But if I use the fields (NMName and NFName) that combines all 3 names (first, middle and last) the code didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do those fields have a calculated value? If so, check the fields calculation order.

Also check the JS Console for error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67, I changed the calculation order and opened the JS Console but wasn't sure what I was looking at or for.

I'm unable to share the file via Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud. I have an IT department that has limited our use of certain software.

I stepped away from this file on Friday and have picked it up again today to see if I could get the coding to work but still a no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, after changing the value of one of the fields check the JS Console for error messages. They should appear in the lower part of the window. If there aren't any then that's good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines