Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Control Layers with Javascript

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if its possible to control (turn on/off) layers with  java script?

Currently I am using this JS:

var layers = this.getOCGs();

for(var i=0;i<this.layers.length;i++)

{

if(layers.name == "LAYER NAME")

layers.state = !(layers.state);

}

It displays how I want it too, however when I save the PDF and close it. When the PDF is reopened, The layers reset to the original state

Help please

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

As Try67 explained in the other thread, there are issues with manipulating Layers in Reader. So, if you can't change the OCG state so that it maintains its value, you save the desired state a different way and restore it on Document Open.  One easy way to do this is with "doc.viewState".

So you need hidden text field to save the Layer state, lets call it "LayerState".  Then on document close, or anytime you change Layer visibility, call this code:

this.getField("LayerState").value = eval(viewStat

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to change the layer's "initialView" property to fix that.

However, this property can't be edited in Reader, so you'll need to use a workaround, like a doc-level script that changes the states of all the layers when the file is opened, based on the value of a (hidden) text field, for example.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an article on scripting OCG layers

It includes a sample file

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you reattach the link. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps, must have missed that.

Here it is:

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/create_use_layers

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Thom,

So I read the article but still a little lost on how to build the code.  Sorry, I don't have a strong background in javascripting.

Still looking for a way to reset the layers initial view based on a check boxed in the PDF.  >If check box is on when I save > open the file with that layer and check box on. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Try67 explained in the other thread, there are issues with manipulating Layers in Reader. So, if you can't change the OCG state so that it maintains its value, you save the desired state a different way and restore it on Document Open.  One easy way to do this is with "doc.viewState".

So you need hidden text field to save the Layer state, lets call it "LayerState".  Then on document close, or anytime you change Layer visibility, call this code:

this.getField("LayerState").value = eval(viewState.toSource()).ocgStates.toSource();

Next, add this code to a Document Script:

viewState = {ocgStates:eval(this.getField("LayerState").value)};

This is not as good as setting the initialState for the layer, but it works for Acrobat/Reader. Probably won't work for any other viewer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so Much!!! this worked perfectly

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines