• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discrepancy between Adobe Extract PDF and the PDF content

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a newbie in PDF and I would appreciate having  more explanation about how the Adobe SDK API works through the Adobe sample  extractPDF using the class ExtractTextInfoFromPDF.java.

I have a source PDF that contains this definition:

7 0 obj
<<
/Type /Font
/Subtype /Type1
/BaseFont /Helvetica
/Encoding /WinAnsiEncoding
>>
endobj

Including the following text sequence:

BT
3 Tr
0.00 Tc
/F3 10.5 Tf
1 0 0 1 302.16 776.64 Tm
<i,/ILLENEUVE > Tj
ET

And when I run the extractPDF sample via the Adobe API to get the TEXT info, I get this:

"Font": {
				"alt_family_name": "* Titlingmes New Roman",
				"embedded": true,
				"encoding": "Identity-H",
				"family_name": "* Titlingmes New Roman",
				"font_type": "CIDFontType0",
				"italic": false,
				"monospaced": false,
				"name": "*Times New Roman-Bold-3921",
				"subset": false,
				"weight": 700
			},
			"HasClip": false,
			"Lang": "fr",
			"Page": 0,
			"Path": "//Document/Sect/P",
			"Text": "VILLENEUVE ",
			"TextSize": 10.0

As you can see, the API has correctly translated "i,/" (3 characters, unless '/' in this sequence has a special meaning) into the "V"  character ?

The PDF  has been generated using a CANON scanner with OCR/Tagging as the search capabilty is available ont this document, except when searching for "VILLENEUVE".

It must be noted that when opening the PDF for display, the "V" letter  is not clearly displayed ...

Can someone explain me the mystery  (TEXT correctly extracted using the Adobe ExtractPDF API) ?

Thanks, Eric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume  that if the V Letter is not clearly displayed, it is because the PDF Showing process is doing some  extra translation/conversion.

Thanks ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT SDK DISCUSSIONS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is now still in the wrong forum. The Extract SDK is a web based service, not connected to the Acrobat SDK. Correct forum: Document Services APIs - Adobe Support Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, any link to the Extract SDK ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK got it ... on the PDF Extract API page ... but confused by the fact that it is part of the PDF services API ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a service, not an app, so this seems the right home for it. Files are sent to Adobe's servers for conversion. The Acrobat SDK does not use the web, but uses a local subscription to Adobe Acrobat. Adobe actually have three different teams working on PDF extraction (or maybe four if you include Adobe PDF Library).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to the confusion, without any explanation the Document Services API forum - which referred to itself as the Document Cloud SDK - has been renamed as the Acrobat Services API. So this is a set of services which are not included with Acrobat, and not connected to the Acrobat SDK or the API offered by Acrobat, but now called Acrobat API. What could possibly go wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, the API has correctly translated "i,/" (3 characters, unless '/' in this sequence has a special meaning) into the "V"  character ?

The PDF  has been generated using a CANON scanner with OCR/Tagging as the search capabilty is available ont this document, except when searching for "VILLENEUVE".

It must be noted that when opening the PDF for display, the "V" letter  is not clearly displayed ...

Can someone explain me the mystery  (TEXT correctly extracted using the Adobe ExtractPDF API) ?

Apparently the CANON scanner OCR machine could not identify the (unclear) "V" letter correctly but instead recognized an "i", a comma and a slash, and added these characters as text invisibly to the scanned image. As a consequence, "VILLENEUVE" cannot be found. (But have you tried searching for "i,/ILLENEUVE"? That might well work...)

The ExtractPDF API you called, on the other hand, appears to have ignored the text data from the CANON OCR machine but instead applied its own OCR routines to the scanned image of the page. These OCR routines appear to have been more successful  and have recognized the "V".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unfortunately, this is now still in the wrong forum. The Extract SDK is a web based service, not connected to the Acrobat SDK. Correct forum: Document Services APIs - Adobe Support Community"

==>   Moved to the Document Services APIs - Adobe Support Community discussions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources