• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop Down Box with lots of Items (over 300)

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to set a drop down box to move to a certain item when you start to type that item in the box?

I have a drop down box that will need over 300 different items to choose from and the user is wanting it so that if you start typing a certain item, it will automatically scroll to that item so you don't have to scroll through all 300 different items.

Is this even possible? I have Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES4 that I can use.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

When you enter a letter inside a drop-down it will jump to the first item that starts with that letter, but it only works for the first letter.

So if you enter it again it will jump to the second item, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you enter a letter inside a drop-down it will jump to the first item that starts with that letter, but it only works for the first letter.

So if you enter it again it will jump to the second item, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind...I figured it out.

I was trying to use Acrobat Pro to test out the form and it wasn't working, but when I use Reader, it does skip to the item when you type the first letter.

That should work.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that typing in the first letter works well, however it does not work for the first item in the options list for some reason.  For example if my first option in the list is "IND", the field will not allow me to type "I".  However if I type the first letter of any other item in the list, and then type "I" it will generate the item "IND".   In my attempt to figure out the problem, I adding a dummy item to the options list.  I put the dummy item in the first position, and then typing "I" worked and generated the item "IND"

Is there something in the settings that I need to change in order to address this?  While it is not so difficult to select the first item in the drop down, the nature of the form is such that it would save time to be able to just type the letter "I" and have the first item work like the rest.  I do not want to leave a dummy item as an option because of potential confusion it might cause.

Thanks for any info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should work like that... Are you sure there isn't some character (like a space) before "IND"? Can you share the file in question, or even just a dummy file with the drop-down in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see now...that does work with LiveCycle. But I can't seem to get it to work in Acrobat??

Is there something you have to do to make it work in Acrobat 8 Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines