Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extracting a set of PDF pages from a "key word"

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I have searched the web for many hours looking for a solution on being able to extract pages from using a key word (instead of typing individual page numbers).  I even called Adobe Sales to ask if Adobe CS would work and they assured me it would but I would need the pro version.  So I downloaded - and it didn't - I called customer support and they said it wouldn't work - I recalled the sales group and they confirmed it wouldn't work now.  I am not saying this to complain, only to say that I have tried really hard to get this questions answered so I am hoping someone in the forums will be able to help... please!

I have a 2000 page document and need to do a number of different "extractions" of different pages based on key words present.  If there is an automatic way I can do this, I would be very grateful if someone could help impart their wisdom on my:-).

If there is a 3rd party software I can buy, I am happy to do that too (I of course started with looking at Adobe's products).  Oh, and I have a mac.

Thank you,

Russell

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

This may work with Acrobat - depending on your documents. There should also be no difference between how you would do this in Acrobat 8 vs. Acrobat DC. Take a look at a blog post I wrote a while ago that outlines the general process you would have to implement in Acrobat's JavaScript:

Extract PDF Pages Based on Content - KHKonsulting LLC

Depending on how your content is stored, you may have to filter the amount of data you need to process by e.g. cropping the page down to just the target area you

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you said "Adobe CS" what did you mean? is this 12 year old software or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant Adobe Acrobat DC.  I started out with Acrobat Pro 8.0 (mac).  Then downloaded Acrobat Pro DC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've developed several tools that allow you to do that. The first uses the output from the built-in Advanced Search command of Acrobat to print or extract all of the pages where matches were found. You can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Print or Extract Pages from CSV Search Results

In addition I've developed tools that highlight all the matches of specific search terms in a file and then allow you to do various thing with them, such as extract the pages they are located on to a new file. If you're interested in the latter you can contact me directly at try6767 at gmail.com and we'll discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may work with Acrobat - depending on your documents. There should also be no difference between how you would do this in Acrobat 8 vs. Acrobat DC. Take a look at a blog post I wrote a while ago that outlines the general process you would have to implement in Acrobat's JavaScript:

Extract PDF Pages Based on Content - KHKonsulting LLC

Depending on how your content is stored, you may have to filter the amount of data you need to process by e.g. cropping the page down to just the target area you are interested in (and then reversing that crop again before you extract the page). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked like a charm!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document containing multiple invoices. Some invoices are 1 page, some are 2+. I need to save each invoice as a separate document with all pages involved per invoice. Is there a way to do this by recognizing the page number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's entirely possible. Depends on how easy it is for a script to recognize where an invoice begins and ends. There has to be some kind of regular structure/text that can be detected.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines