• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

extreme file enlargement due to comments

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I noticed such a problem: after hiding comments in a document using code, the file size increases tenfold!

function Hide() {
	this.delay = true;
	this.syncAnnotScan();
	var annots = this.getAnnots();
	if (annots==null || annots.length==0) {
	app.alert("there are no comments in this document", 1);
	return;}
	for (var i=annots.length-1; i>=0; i--) {
	annots[i].setProps({readOnly: false, lock: false});
	annots[i].hidden = true;}
	this.delay = false;
	app.alert("all comments hide",3);
}

DmitriyK_0-1655275899593.png

After optimizing(File - Save as Other - Optimizide PDF) the document, the file size returns to its original size, but after displaying comments and saving, it again grows in size by + 3 MB, and so on each time after the hide/show/save cycle.

How to solve this problem? add file optimization to the main code? Or is there an option in the program settings that will clear this automatically? 

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Save As, rather than a simple Save. No need to optimise. Save alone always makes a document longer because changes are added to the end, leaving the original bytes untouched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Maybe you know a function in the code that does this for the user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no direct command in JS to optimize a file. The closest you can get to it is to run a Preflight Profile that does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing the save from the menu, or in code? What you posted does not save.

It is the specific job of SAVE AS to both ask for a new name AND remove unused objects, rearrange the file, and reclaim space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after hiding the comments with the code, I save the file through the menu. Well, I most likely asked the question incorrectly, I will correct it: is there a function in the code similar to the Optimization button (I did not find it in the API)? I need that when my Hide button is pressed, the document is cleared at the same time, and the user does not need to do Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> is there a function in the code similar to the Optimization button (I did not find it in the API)?

- No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the "space saving" functions work only as the file is saved; it's a complete rearrangement of the file, and the copy in memory used while you edit isn't what counts. You would need to tell your user to do a Save As.

I don't know if this is possible (someone may have a better idea than me) but I wonder if the comments could be on a layer (optional content) that is hidden or shown. This would have a very small impact on the number of objects changed, as well as giving the user control themselves.

Oh and one more thought. The increase in size is more than I'd expect, doubling is the most I would have predicted. Please check whether your code is being called multiple times - each one will make a new copy of the annots, and all copies will be saved with an ordinary save. Perhaps add an app.alert for testing purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Sorry, I see you have an app.alert - if you see the message only once it isn't the problem!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines