• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flipbook for offline use

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to create a flipbook either from InDesign or Acrobat that can be sent to others in a pdf format that isn't connected to the internet. It seems as though I saw this done from an acrobat file years ago, but I can find nothing on it. Thanks!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flip books are based on flash technology, which doesn't work with PDFs. Sorry!

Acrobat does have some page transitions, but they only work in full screen mode. They will however, work offline.

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 11.18.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found that but unfortunately that is not going to work.

Is there a way to do it from InDesign? Is there a way to get what I'm looking for from any software? Do you know if any of the third party softwares that generate flip books can be used offline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has the same limitations as Acrobat, as far as page curl. There might be a third party solution, but keep in mind that no Apple iOs devices support flash. 

There are some HTML 5 osolutions. (Do a search for "How to make a flipbook for offline use" and some results will show up. But if you want to do it in InDesign, I'd give In5 a look. Even if their tool can't do it (because HTML is really designed for online use), they will be able to point you in the right direction, as they are experts at HTML5 from InDesign.

The issue with what you're after is that any solution (if there is one) is going to be HTML5 based, which requires someone to view it using a web browser. And since HTML files are not standalone files (meaning that there have to be all the images located in a separate folder, with stylesheets, etc), it makes distribution more difficult, because it's not so simple as sending someone a PDF, or having them click on a link to view a document online. You'll have to send them a zipped folder of files, and then probably walk them through where to store those files on their local device (which is likely going to be different on tablet, smartphones, desktop computers, etc.).

Why is it so important to have the flipping function? Why not just click to the next page, without the animated page curl?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I want to thank you for the detailed answer. Fortunately the people that will be viewing this are all PC based so if I can do it Flash will be fine.

I did do a search for "flipbook for offline use and found just one result that says I need to use something called Flipping Book Publishe. (Is that the Office program Publisher?).

I work on proposals and we were trying to find a solution that would make us stand out from the crowd. We cannot submit the electronic copies from an online source. We have to supply them on a USB stick. What started the whole conversation was when one of my coworkers said that he had seen a pdf that looked like it had tabs that were transparent behind the tabs. I figured it was probably built that way from InDesign where each individual page was built with all the tabs showing but changed the location when a new section started. He did not have the example to show me. We were hoping that we could have it read like a book as opposed to sending the file in spreads or single pages.

I'll check out some of these how-to's and see if they work. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Info: The support of Flash Player will stop at end of this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should not waste your time on this. It's not worth the effort and the expense involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines