• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I autofill a text field in multiple forms within a portfolio?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a portfolio with several forms.  How do I make the portfolio link the required fields to mirror one text field?  For example, in all of the forms I'd like text fields "owner's_name" to all reflect the same entry.  The same goes for text fields "owner's_location" and "project_name".  Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On each page of your portfolio you have to name the text field you created for "owners_name" the exact same thing. For example on page 1 if you name the text field owners name, it has to be the exact same on each page. So now when you fill in the owners name it will populate the owners name on each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't work like that in a Portfolio file. Fields in different files in the Portfolio will not automatically have the same value, even if they have the same name. It needs to be done with a custom-made script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello try67,

what would a custom-made script look like in order for this to work?

I have a 14 page fillable PDF form with a few text boxes that are repeated on just about every page e.g. school, student name, date of birth, etc.  I now need to separate this form into single pages but I still want the text fields to link to each other, so the school, student name or date of birth only needs to be entered once.  Is there a way to do that?  Can it be done in a PDF Portfolio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very tricky, especially if you want the values to copy over as soon as you enter them (as opposed to when you open the files).

Also, should it copy from one file to the rest, or from all of them to all of them? What if there conflicting values in the files? etc.

This is quite problematic to implement and requires quite a bit of scripting know-how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what I would want is if they enter the information on one file, it would appear as soon as the next file was open.

thank you for replying so quickly try67 and no worries if its too much to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're interested in hiring someone to set it up for you, feel free to contact me privately (try6767 at gmail.com) to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you try67.  I'll check with my supervisor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Portfolios have their own internal file organizer so the usual directory structure might not apply. Also there have been many changes to the internal format of portfolios so to get a method that works for all version is pretty limiting.

I would Export the FDF from form and then import that to the next form PDF. If you or your users will be using Reader then Extended Form Rights need to be added to the forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines