Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Javascript to automate addition of an add-on tool to the toolbar

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am a complete beginner in developing Acrobat functionalities. I had this task of adding a button to a toolbar which , on pressing would show a pop-up and I was asked to do this using Javascript. I successfully added the button to the add-on toolbar and found out that this add-on tool could be manually added to the toolbar with the help of customizing of toolbar. But now I am asked if this manual addition of the button to the toolbar could be automated using some script. I went through the Javascript API reference documentation and found that it has the execMenuItem method, but it can execute only specific commands (example: Save As). Could anyone let me know if this automation could be done using Javascript?

( The manual addition I am speaking about is Going to View -> Show/Hide -> Toolbar Items ->Customize Quick tools )

I know that the button can be directly added on to the toolbar using plugins, but that would require development in C++ and we are trying to explore the functionalities that could be achieved using JS scripts

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

This is not possible with Javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you mentioned, you don't need to learn how to develop a plug-in to achieve this.

AdobeAcrobat already comes packed with, customizable tools, useful plug-in actions and sequences.

Use this guidance on how to add a tool:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/workspace-basics.html#custom_tool 

You can also achieve similar result using the Action Wizard Tool in addition to learning  some  basic javascript.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/action-wizard-acrobat-pro.html 

You will always have a javascript action available and easily accessible.

But if you have an third-party add-on that you wish to incorporate to the Adobe Acrobat's toolbar you must consult how the vendor recommends to install it and set it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not possible with Javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines