• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Measure PDF rendering time

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to measure performance parameters like time until document is loaded or render complete?

Trying to understand how long does it take to load some of my "heavy" documents

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

To do this in Adobe Reader, you will need to write a custom plugin to Reader (in C/C++). You will need to obtain a license from Adobe for that plugin (no cost, but you need the license). Details on how to write a plugin, samples, the license, etc. are all in the Acrobat SDK.

It is also recommended to do all development with Acrobat (where you don’t need a license).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to do this inside of Acrobat (in a plugin) or from your own application using the PDFLibrary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lrosenth​,

I started to investigate it couple of days ago and couldn't see any references online for PDF benchmark testing.

I don't really mind which way should I do it , any advice is welcomed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve in the long run (aka what’s your end goal, in detail, if you can) – and then I can give you more direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to perform a measured performance test on Acrobat Reader.

Test should include KPIs like:

• PDF loading time (time takes to open file)
  • PDF Rendering time (time takes to show all geometry on "heavy" PDF files)
  • Frame rate (if possible)

I have some complicated files that may take almost a minute to open, I would like to measure this time automatically (batch).

So I would know which file take more time to open without using a stopwatch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do this in Adobe Reader, you will need to write a custom plugin to Reader (in C/C++). You will need to obtain a license from Adobe for that plugin (no cost, but you need the license). Details on how to write a plugin, samples, the license, etc. are all in the Acrobat SDK.

It is also recommended to do all development with Acrobat (where you don’t need a license).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For long documents, you won't actually be benchmarking Adobe Reader as much as you'll be benchmarking your hard drive, degree of fragmentation of the drive, and the degree of conformance to the specification of PDF creation tool (Acrobat will repair malformed PDF... to a degree... that takes time). If your concern is document load time, consider splitting the document and then creating a PDF Portfolio with the parts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for detailed information, you helped me a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines