• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Text when Combining .PDF Files and Posting to the Web

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked over the forums, but can't see where this is answered. I'm combining anywhere from 4 - 6 separate .pdf files, then adding bookmarks, linking each .pdf to a master web page, then moving those files to a web server for our customers to view. I'm using Acrobat XI Pro.

When I combine the .pdfs and view them on my computer, everything is fine. When I move the combined .pdf to our web server, text goes missing. See below. Is there anything that can be done? Combined files range in size from 24 MB to 59 MB.

example1.jpgexample2.jpg

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you view the documents with Adobe Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect your PDF has layers and/or transparency that is preventing the type from displaying properly outside of Acrobat. Try flattening the PDF. One way is to go to Tools> Print Production> Preflight> Acrobat/PDF version Compatibility, choose Acrobat 4, which will flatten the PDF.

Another way is to save-as an optimized PDF> Transparency> make compatible with Acrobat 4. You might also make your PDF smaller by checking on the Discard Objects, User Data, and Clean up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither solution works. Preflighting caused my bookmarks to not work. When I "re-bookmarked" it caused text to disappear again. Optimizing rasterized and pixelated images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you optimize, did you un-check all but the transparency?

Are the fonts properly embedded? you can check by going to file> Properties> Fonts in Acrobat.

If not, you can try to embed them with Acrobat, but best practice is to re-make the original, un-combined PDFs with embedded fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  In my case I had to choose Acrobat 5, but worked for me.  Perhaps because I was adding text to a pdf received from a third party, using an older (free?) version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines