Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a way to convert from pdf to xml vice versa

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need a way to convert a pdf to xml , make changes , and convert back into pdf from xml using an api or sdk. Need it to be completely automatic with no user interaction any ideas?? 

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds a pipe dream. Extractors for limited PDF content in XML form exist, but PDF is a rich graphical and metadata container, and I cannot imagine any system that could roundtrip. If you want to edit a PDF, use PDF editing API. If you have a different need, try and describe it and we may have ideas of how to approach it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my issue is that i have a pdf where there are mutiple tables and those tables are dynamic. which mean data in those tables could have 2 rows or 20 rows. but the issue is that if it has many rows then it wil over lap other text and things in the pdf.

so tying to find a way to populate those tables while the rest of the content moves down with the rows of the table

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the PDF file will have an extremely predictable structure I agree this "round-trip" is not going to be possible.

XML to PDF is possible, although complicated. PDF to XML is extremely difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any other suggestions? i tried pdf to word and word to pdf  but formats were off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will need to see the actual files to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is the pdf. for example sections 1E, 2A and other similar ones are tables that im trying to dynamically create

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want the tables to be expandable by the user? or do you want the tables to be setup for a specific number of entries before the user gets it?  

There is no way to dynamically expand a table in a regular PDF Document. This is a feature of AEM (formally known as LiveCycle) PDF forms. But that is a completly different topic, on a different forum.  In a Regular PDF there are Page Templates, which are exactly what it sounds like, a template for a whole new page that can be added to a PDF. If you can redesign the form so that new pages can be added to expand the tables, then this solution will work. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the tables will be expanded with code. no user will be touching it.  I need to expand table rows to push content down and not overlap. do you have any api or sdk that will work in doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets' be very clear about the workflow. 

So are you saying that this form is never filled out by a user? That it's setup and filled through some automation process? possibly on a server?   Or do you mean that the tables are supposed to dynamically expand as the user is filling out the form?  Makes a huge difference in the solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the form is filled on a server a user is NEVER touching the document. so the process would be i start the server and the pdf will be automatically filled. however some tables may need more then the 3 rows that it has and will need to insert more rows AUTOMATICALLY without overlap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure why my account name changed but still me here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, that is a different situation. There are all kinds of PDF libraries, tools, and services that can be used on the server to generate PDF documents. So does the form even need form fields?  If it does, then you'll need a tool that can add and fill the required fields, if not then a simpler process can be used.  

Just do a Google search on PDF Library, and PDF tools.  I'm pretty sure there are web/rest services out there that generate PDFs based on a template.  I think there are also subscription services that do this sort of thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines