Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested If Statements

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

i am trying to create a form to that has a text field change color to either green or red depending on three things.  the first variable is a the text field "wpds1", the second is text field "dia1" and the third is the text field "Amps".  the user would input UB36 into the "wpds1" text field and either 5/32 or 1/8 into the "dia1" text field. When the user inputs a number into the "Amps" text field i want the color to change based on the input. here is what i got so far.

var f = event.value; 
var wpds = this.getField("wpds1").value;
var dia = this.getField("dia1").value;

if (wpds = "UB36")
   {

if (dia = "1/8")             
                {
                if(f >= 70 && f < 131) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;} 
                else  {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",1,0.700,0.700]}    
                }
   else if (dia = "5/32")
                {
                if(f >= 115 && f < 176) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;}
                }
    }

The issue that i am having is when i enter 5/32 into the "dia" text field it is still running off of the numbers for 1/8. so when i put UB36 into "wpds1" and 5/32 into "dia" the range that changes the fill color to the desired color is still the 70 - 130.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Is this the calculation of "travelSpeed"? If so, change this line:

this.getField("travelSpeed").value = Travel_Speed ;

To:

event.value = Travel_Speed ;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To compare values use ==, not only =

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Bernd Alheit.... i have been trying to figure that out for hours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just one more question, is there a limit to how many times you can nest if statements like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so i got everything in that text field to work and i moved that script over to another text field since it needs the same functionality, but it seems to be having a delay in the color change. say the range of values to turn the fill color green is 19 - 26, if i type in 19 the color wont change to green. but when i type in 20 it does change green and if i go back to 19 it stays green.  this text field is a little different since it pulls values from two different text fields and does a calculation before the if else statements. if this what is causing the delay?

var f = event.value; 
var wpds = this.getField("wpds1").value;
var dia = this.getField("dia1").value;
var pass = this.getField("pass1").value;
var Distance = this.getField("Distance").value ;
var Time = this.getField("Time").value ;
var Travel_Speed = Distance / Time * 60;

if (wpds == "UB36")
   {
    if (pass == "Root" || pass == "Hot")
               {
               if (dia == "3/32")             
                              {
                              if(f >= 18 && f < 29) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;} 
                              }

else if (dia == "1/8")             
                              {
                              if(f >= 19 && f < 31) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;} 
                              }
                else if (dia == "5/32")
                              {
                              if(f >= 21 && f < 32) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;}
                              }
                }

else if (pass == "Fill" || pass == "Cap")
             {
             if (dia == "3/32")             
                              {
                              if(f >= 18 && f < 25) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;} 
                              }

else if (dia == "1/8")             
                              {
                              if(f >= 19 && f < 27) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;} 
                              }

else if (dia == "5/32")
                              {
                              if(f >= 21 && f < 29) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;}
                              }

else if (dia == "3/16")
                              {
                              if(f >= 22 && f < 31) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;}
                              }
                else if (dia == "7/32")
                              {
                              if(f >= 23 && f < 33) {event.target.fillColor = ["RGB",0.800,1,0.800] ;}
                              }
                }
    }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you place this code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the text field calculation field

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you said this field has a calculated value... Where is that calculation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried taking the calculation code and making it a global script but the same issue happened

var Distance = this.getField("Distance").value ;

var Time = this.getField("Time").value ;

var Travel_Speed = Distance / Time * 60;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the calculation of "travelSpeed"? If so, change this line:

To:

event.value = Travel_Speed ;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did that but i still get the delay in color change, i still have to change the color mulitple times in the green range before the text box fill color changes to green. if i take the calculation out and just manually change the value the color changes as the proper value is shown. im not sure how else i can have that calculation and have the text box change color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the first line (where you define the f variable) after the line where you apply the new value to the field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for the help, that worked perfect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also possible to create a complex if statement using the logical  operands of AND (""), OR (||), and NOT ( ! ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines