• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New York Department of Taxation's official RP-5217-PDF form barcode not showing in DC, but shows in prior versions of Adobe Reader and Acrobat Pro. Is there a fix? or is the form broken?

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New York requires the completion of its RP-5217-PDF form for all real estate closings.  The form automatically generates a bar code.  My office uses Apple/Mac computers and the barcode appears in all versions of Adobe Reader and Acrobat Pro prior to DC.  The DC version shows the form without a barcode.  The form is found here: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/orpts/rp5217.pdf  Is there a preference setting in DC that I am missing, or is the form broken for the newest version of Adobe's software on a Mac?  Please help.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

I thought it was solved in the continuous version of Acrobat and in Reader, but maybe not... You can report the issue here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

A work-around solution would be to downgrade to Reader XI for now. I agree this is a major issue and hope Adobe will solve it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug in the application, not in the form.

Ask them to update Reader to the latest version available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.  I'm not clear about who you suggest should update to the latest version of Reader.  I have tested the form on the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac.  Neither shows the bar code.  I haven't tested the form on a PC (which my office doesn't use).

Do you mean to have New York's Dept. of Taxation update Reader to the latest version available?  I wouldn't know how to communicate that to them.

Please clarify.  Thanks very much in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean the version of Reader DC that's installed on your computer. Go to Help - Check For Updates and see if any are available.

If so, download and install them. Continue doing so until no more updates are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did that prior to posting the request for help.  I am using the most recent version of DC Reader and Pro.  Still no joy.  I'm not the only one who is experiencing this issue.  It was also noted in the forum topic "Adobe Reader Acrobat DC: what where they thinking??" by hollys15979060 Nov 13, 2015 5:15 AM. 

If it's a bug in the application, who at Adobe can I alert so they can fix this issue (there are many attorney's and staff in New York that must use the RP-5217 form and if the new Adobe DC products can't correctly produce them, that's a big problem).

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was solved in the continuous version of Acrobat and in Reader, but maybe not... You can report the issue here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

A work-around solution would be to downgrade to Reader XI for now. I agree this is a major issue and hope Adobe will solve it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response.  I reported the issue as suggested and am hoping it is fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue still persists almost one year later.  I just submitted another bug report to Adobe.  Hoping it gets addressed, but not holding breath...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open it still, now, July 2021 (!!?!@!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it opens for me, and I see a barcode as expected. What exact release of Acrobat Reader are you opening it in? ("Latest" is not a release!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get this to document. I have Acrobat Reader DC Version 2021.007.20099 and every time (for years now) i try to use this form from the state, I get the error message "To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readsteep2.html " no matter what browser i use.  I really don't know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT open the link in your browser directly. Instead, right-click it and select Save Link As (or Save Target As, or something similar). Save the PDF file to your computer. Then open it in Adobe Reader and it should display just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 13, 2023. I am a real estate attorney in NY. We are required to use the downloadable RP-5217 Form. IT WILL NOT OPEN ON A MAC COMPUTER!!! I have been searching for a resolution for years and found nothing. I used a 3rd party form for a while, but my local county clerks will no longer accept it because it does not produce the barcode. I just spent two hours online and on YouTube searching for a workaround. I tried every method presented. NOTHING WORKS!!! Since this is a legal requirement, it must be fixed. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the file in Adobe Reader (or Acrobat)? If so, it should work, if the file is valid.

Anyway, the responsibility of making the file work is with the institution that created it, unless you can demonstrate there's a bug in the application that prevents it from working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, your description of the issue is very lacking. What does "it will not open on a Mac computer" means, exactly? Is there an error message when you attempt to open it? If so, what does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I too have been having issues.  When I click the link https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/orpts/rp5217.pdf for said form. Rather than opening to a form. It is a pdF notice saying that I should download the latest Adobe ware (which was done). I used three different browsers which generates the same notice.

I am using a mac, with paralells.  The issue persists with Safari, Chrome, or Edge on the PC side. 

Help please. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all browsers will do that. The message is correct: you must download the latest Acrobat Reader. But that's not enough. You must download the PDF  (yes, the one with the notice), and then open the PDF to view it from Reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I saved the link to my PC desktop and opened the form that way.  What I could NOT find anywhere on the internet was what version of the RP5217 is in current use.  After opening the "new" form from the NYS tax website, I discovered that it is the same (8/10) August 2010 release date of the form I have on my computer and having been using sucessfully for over a decade.  So, even though the RP5217 Instructions are 06/13, the 13+ year old form has not be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rp5217 not working.

Solution:  (This would typify a miracle...if such existed).

Right click on the link that is supposed to take you to the pdF. Select "save link as."

You will notice the file name extension is already be a PDf. Save it. Then open it from the location where it is saved. I do not think it has anything to do with Adobe but our incompetent governemnt contractors who set this up. 

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works if the PDF comes from a link, but if it comes from a form you need to directly download the PDF after opening it, when you see the message. Simpler too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines