Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Notallowed signaturesign javascript DC Reader

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using a custom javascript I wrote for years on Acrobat Pro 6. It also works on Acrobat Standard X but I have not been able to get it work on Acrobat Reader DC.

The javascript finds a location for a signature field, creates the field, then signs it with a Digital Certificate Signature.

everytime the code gets to

field.signatureSign

The console gives  a Notallowed security error. I already have a trusted function etc (this all worked in Acrobat X) but cannot get it to work in DC Reader.

After it errors, I can click on the signature field with my mouse and Reader DC pops up up the sign dialog and I can then sign the file, so reader is working with the digital ID, is able to sign the documents etc, but not from javascript?

Can anyone tell me whats different, is this a function not available in Reader?

Can anyone confirm they can get Adobe Reader DC to  field.signatureSign in javascript correctly

Code section below, it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\Javascripts\DigSigJC.js"

Note: Calling it config.js makes no difference.

// Adds signature to document and saves
function sign_document(operation) 
{
var field = this.addField({cName:'Signature', cFieldType:'signature', nPageNum:0, oCoords:[0,0,0,0]}); // Creates Signature Field
field.rect=[320,75,375,60];
    trusted_signature(field); // Add signature to field
    app.execMenuItem('Save',this); // Save document
}
// Trusted operation to perform signing
var trusted_signature =app.trustedFunction(function(field) 
{
app.beginPriv();
var sig = {appearance:'Approved',reason:'Approved for Manufacture',mdp:'allowNone'};
var sec = security.getHandler('Adobe.PPKLite', false);
         // List all the available signature handlers
//for (var i=0; i<security.handlers.length; i++)
// console.println(security.handlers[i]);
         //sec.login({bUI:true}); Makes no difference
//console.println("isLoggedIn="+sec.isLoggedIn);
field.signatureSign({oSig: sec, oInfo: sig, bUI: false});
app.endPriv();
});

I also have the following javascript settings, but have tried them all to no avail.

default1sqzixayydm3_0-1623973227111.png

Any help greatly appreciated.

John.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the documentation of the function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. It doesn't work. I've read both the Developing Application using Javascript and the API reference.

If I am doing something wrong I cannot see what it is. If you can please let me know.

Here's an even simpler version.

// Adds signature to document and saves
var sign_document=app.trustedFunction(function (operation) 
{
app.beginPriv();
var pageRec = this.getPageBox({nPage: 0}); // Page dimensions
var field = this.addField({cName:'Signature', cFieldType:'signature', nPageNum:0, oCoords:[0,0,0,0]}); // Creates Signature Field
var sig = {appearance:'Approved',reason:'Approved for Manufacture',mdp:'allowNone'};
var sec = security.getHandler('Adobe.PPKLite', false);
   field.rect=[320,75,375,60];
        field.signatureSign({oSig: sec, oInfo: sig, bUI: false});
app.endPriv();
})

Still doesn't work.

Documentation says:

JC_LA_0-1623999501472.png

I tried the login line, makes no difference.

Still fails at field.signatureSign.

JC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the quick bar on the documentation:

Bild1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>5.0 Yes

D: Changes Document  : Yes

S : Enable Menu Items : Yes,

app.trustedfunction: Yes,

provided the certifier’s certificate is trusted for running embedded high privilege Javascript &colon; Yes

G: Requires digital signature rights : Yes

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid emoji's

D : Changes Document : Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see anything that tells me it shouldn't work in Reader vs Pro/Std.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FDF SignatureSign is Pro/Std only but the filed.signatureSign is as per the bar you posted.

Available in Reader but requires digital signature rights. Which I assume is: signing?

JC_LA_0-1624002763313.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add the digital signature rights to the document with a server product. The old name of this product was Livecycle Reader Extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is this requirement was dropped since reader xi. 
I am able to sign/certify with reader, just can't get the JavaScript to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was dropped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The requirement to add digital signature rights to PDF files to allow signing with reader. 
Signing with reader is now allowed since version 11, when before it wasn't 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the digital signature rights when you want sign per Javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that it is possible to sign a file with javascript and reader if the file has digital signature rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this to work?  How?  I have the same issue and can't get javascript to execute the signatureSign method successfully.  I get an error that security settings don't allow the method.  However, I'm using a document level script, I'm using an an app.trustedFunction, the digital signature pfx I'm using has security to run javascript, and the pdf file allows changes and digital signatures.  I've searched these forums and have been studying the Acrobat API guide, but no luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the documentation says that it won't work, so this seems right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to do it in Acrobat or in Reader? What's the exact error message you're getting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use the signatureSign method in Reader.  The documentation shows availability as "G", so it should work in Reader, and the document I'm working on has digital rights (i.e., digital signatures are Allowed). 

The error I'm getting is "NotAllowedError ... Security settings prevent access to this property or method."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i never got it to work.

Ended up with acrobat pro where it works straight away.

I personally don't believe it can be done in reader.

JC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done in Reader if you add the rights. At least, that's what the documentation says. I don't have some tens of thousands of dollars to spare to license the software to add the rights. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe any of this. 

all those docs point to very old versions. I can apply digital signatures with reader dc. These documents relate to version 7 and lower and state reader cannot apply digital signatures.

Afaict reader cannot use the JavaScript signature sign method despite the current documentation saying it can.

I won't believe anyone until they prove otherwise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't believe any of this" That's your privilege. Replies are indeed often wrong.

"Afaict reader cannot use the JavaScript signature sign method despite the current documentation saying it can." Seems to me you are being selective. The documentation clearly says it can sign PDF files IN READER IF AND ONLY IF USAGE RIGHTS ARE APPLIED. Since you haven't tested this with files having usage rights, I don't see that you can say the documentation is wrong. Indeed, your results support the documentation being correct, so far as you have gone.

I have looked for a sample PDF with signing rights, which would answer the question quickly, but sadly I can't find them.

Yes, it's inconvenient and/or expensive; but Adobe create their APIs to generate revenue. For them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not purchased separate software to add rights for use with Reader.  I thought I had read somewhere that the later releases no longer required a separate product, plus I was going off the documentation that said (at least to my reading) that the signatureSign method is supported in Reader.  However, based on the various replies here, I take it that that's only true if one obtains the separate product to add rights.

While not the answer I was looking for, this at least clarifies.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines