• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scanned form to Fillable PDF as a service

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image of a scanned form. I know that Acrobat PRO can find the form fields on this image and put fillable fields on top of this document (https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/how-to/create-fillable-pdf-forms-creator.html). I wonder if this service is available in Acrobat SDK or any other product?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat SDK doesn't provide services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any method that will allow me to have this functionality in my program would help me, it doesn't have to be a a service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Acrobat Pro or Standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I access Acrobat Pro or standard with a Javascript or a Python script? Is there an API?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, this feature cannot be automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well actually, I think that "Detect Form Fields" can be activated through AVCommand. Haven't tried it myself, but it's listed as a command in Batch processing.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it couldn’t be used on a server – which it sounds like would be the case here…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The server assumption is correct. I want to send scanned PDFs to my server and return the fillable form back to the client. It will be very disappointing if there is no way of doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be ready to be disappointed... Acrobat is absolutely not for server use. It is not technically suitable. And it is not licensed for this use.

Adobe have a PDF Library, but it does not contain this functionality (unless you re implement it at a low level).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the arguments already brought up, using the "Detect Form Fields" functionality works reliably only with very simplistic forms.

It produces horrendous field names, which can be used for simple filling, but are close to useless if you want to do something with the data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just need the proof of concept that this can be done and defend that this technology will improve with time. Guess I have to use some mouse automation techniques to brute force my implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

from what you say, a proof of concept would not be allowed by the EULA, as Acrobat is not licensed for server use. The technical difficulties in such a case are not even relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines