• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Sign PDF with Military CAC (smart card)

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Military CAC that I am trying to use to sign a PDF document with.  I created the document and have tried multiple signature fields.  I have my CAC connected via an ActivCard reader and my computer is correctly reading the card.  I have verified that the certificate is present in the computer and that Adobe Acrobat Pro can see the certificate.  I am not given the option to sign with the card.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Alex

TOPICS
Mac , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Hello Jackieh,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, you want to sign a PDF using your CAC card, Is that correct?

The CAC card stores your digital id on an embedded microprocessor chip. Use the digital ID on a smart card to sign and decrypt documents on computers that can be connected to a smart card reader.

You can access your digital ID by connecting the token to a USB port on your computer or mobile device. If you store your digital ID on a smart

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

So I had the same problem.  I followed the following from above:

Click Preferences

Under Categories, scroll down to Signatures

In the Creation and Appearance section, click More

Make sure Enable CryptoTokenKit framework support is checked.

You might also need to change the Default Signing Format to CAdES-Equivalent

This did not work for me.  I changed the Default Signing Format: back to PKCS#7 - Detached and now it does work.  I wanted to post this in case it helps anyone.  Took me about 20 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but I had to enter my keychain password at least 6-7x before it worked! But, nevertheless, success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not answer the question. The user and many more just like him cannot sign documents in Acrobat Pro DC with a military CAC card. This is a large, known issue. We do not need an explanation of how our readers and tokens work. We use them sucessfully ever day in many other programs. The problem is Adobe Acrobat DC (Windows version). There is NO "draw or add digital signture tool or button." So on a scanned document, which we use all the time in the military, there is no way to add a digital cac enabled signature to an official document. In older verions of Adobe there was a drawing tool that allowed the user to add a CAC digital siganture. Now you can only add a picture, or type a signaature. This is completely unacceptable and defeats the point of a token encrypted digital signature system for security. Please explain in precise steps aka 1, 2, 3 etc. what you do in Adobe Acrobat DC (Windows) to apply a CAC digital signature to a scanned document where there are no defined fields and you will not OCR and add defined fields. Please DO NOT post links to voluminous general documents which DO NOT answer the specific question being asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you having issues to this problem try the following steps.

1. Open Document using the right click followed by Edit with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

2. Click on the "Tools" Option located on the editing bar above

3. Scroll down and click "Open" under "Certificates" 

4. Below the "Tools" bar you will now see a "Certificates" Menu 

5. Click on "Validate All Signatures"

6. Make sure your CAC is plugged in and sign the signature portion as requested

7. Pray that you don't have to go into work just to use the Office Computer

Hope this helps! Fly, Fight, Win!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Still not successful in either Adobe Pro or Reader. Followed guide on Military CAC. Won't synch with my CAC certicificates in reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same exact boat.  I can access CAC enabled websites just fine however, I can't sign using my Hardware Token (SCR-3310v2) CAC Reader.  When I try to add via Adobe it says:

"Adobe Acrobat could not find any new digital IDs. If your digital ID is on a hardware token, please make sure it is plugged in and the token interface is properly configured. Contact your system administrator for further assistance."

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC:  2020.009.20074

Mac OS: Catalina 10.15.2

CAC Reader: SCR 3310v2  and I've tried an HP CAC enabled keyboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok here is an update:

I bit the bullet and upgraded MacOS to 10.15.6.  That seem to fix the problem.  ugh....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have done all of the above including updating to 10.15.6 and still nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending literally 2 hours on the phone with Adobe support, with zero resolution, I hung up... and figured this out. 

I was getting this same error. Basically it was not seeing my CAC reader, and therefore not seeing my certificates. 

What you have to do is this:

Acrobat Pro DC > Preferences > Signatures > Click on "More" under Creation & Appearance > Click the drop down under "Default Signing Format" and select "PKCS#7 - Detached"

Click "Okay"

Now, still under Signatures, click on "More" under Identities & Trusted Certificates....

you should see your DOD Certs. 

That should fix your problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the opposite of what other people are saying.  Under Catalina we were told to change to CADES which then worked. Now you are saying to change it to PKCS#7 which if you look the other postings are saying change it to CADES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to tools and didn't see validate all signatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed the steps for changing it back to PKCS#7 and I was able to CAC sign my document just now. Like someone said further up in the thread, make sure you quit Adobe for the changes to go into effect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I found a solution to your (our) problem. The problem resides with Catalina not having the PKCS#11 module installed. To fix this, you need to go to the OpenSC github and download the MacOS tool. Once installed and back in adobe, go to Adobe Acrobat Preferences > Identity & Trusted Certificates > More. You'll need to attach the PKCS#11 module. To do this, input the file location where OpenSC installed your PKCS#11 module the file should be /Library/OpenSC/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so. Drag and drop (or type) this in the empty field to configure your PKCS module. From here you'll need to add an signing ID and your DoD email should available. Sorry if the steps aren't clean. I need to type this up for work purposes, but wanted to get the answer posted. Hope this helps everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the instructions for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC as of 20220112.

1. From the menu bar select the Tools tab (next to the Home tab).

step1.jpg 

2. Scroll down until you see Forms & Signatures.

3. Select Certificiates.

Note. Selecting Add will add the shortcut to the Tools Pane. Click and drag the shortcut to the top of the Tools Pane for faster access to this feature. 

robin22624961x7b6_1-1642015846481.png

4. The Certificates tool bar should now be visible on the document you want to sign. Select Digitally Sign.

robin22624961x7b6_2-1642016163963.png

5. Follow the instructions from there.

Note. To create an empty signature field, sign the document first following the steps above, right-mouse-click on the signature and select Clear Signature, and save the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More details because this reply doesn't go any further.

Once you get to this point, you will be given choice to sign digitally. One of the prompts will give you option to "create". From there you can pick "draw" to manually sign. You can draw your signature and then 'save'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MORE details because I found the digital sign option for those who couldn't when suggested. In help, search for it and follow the pop-up instructions. This will also you to manually select the area to sign and allow you to pick which certificate the document is signed with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fuseini244900803nv4 

As you only attached a file but did not explain what about it, it's hard to help.

One observation, though: There is an error in your file, the program that saved the original revision (containing the usage rights signature) created a broken PDF object cross reference table. PDFs with such errors usually fail validation if signed; if not immediately, then after an incremental update, e.g. for form fill-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I sign my document using my CAC card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines