• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VC++ Release Build Not Creating Menu

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a plugin in VisualStudio 2022 Community Edition which adds a menu to Acrobat. The menu shows OK when I deploy the debug build. However, when I deploy the release build, the menu doesn't show in Acrobat. 

The plugin has a unique name and there are no dependencies that I am aware of - the plugin reads some registry settings and executes an external exe based on the settings, that's all it does.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the plugin with this:

https://www.dependencywalker.com/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking into account the points in this post, there are no dependencies missing:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36240215/dependency-walker-missing-dlls 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention: the size of the debug .api file is 433kb, but the release version is only 10kb - that sounds a bit small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think 10K is necessarily impossible. Nothing extra is linked. You say the menu doesn't show in Acrobat... I think you are thinking that the plug-in isn't loading at all (you are seeing no evidence of it, not just a missing menu).  Ok, is this being deployed on the SAME machine that you used to test the debug build, or a different one? And, is it being deployed on the same machine as Visual Studio or a different one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same machine, yes and VS is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if it were me, I would add a MessageBox API call (NOT AVAlertNote) to the earliest part of PluginMain in my code. You can use this to see if the plug-in is actually loading (then failing) or if the Release build is not loading at all. You can verify the MessageBox works on on the Debug build first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will try that, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines