Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.Xlsm to .Pdf conversion

Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to take many files in Folder A and move them to Folder B with a different file extension. The files in Folder A are saved as .Xlsm and will ultimately become .Pdf. I found a macro I was able to modify and perform this task, but the .Pdfs become damaged and are unable to be opened. Anyone with a similar issue or solution?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

If it still doesn't work then try using a Save command with the "PDF Optimizer" option ticked on, although it doesn't have to actually perform any optimizations. I tried it with docx files and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't just rename a file from one extension to another and expect it to

work. You have to actually convert the file format.

Using Acrobat Pro you can do it with an Action.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM, thenderson8 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks try67. And I agree, yesterday afternoon I noticed that the name was only changed causing the file to be damaged. I have Adobe Pro but am unfamiliar with creating Actions, any suggestions for how to set up such an Action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67,  Thanks and I agree, yesterday afternoon I noticed that the name was only changed causing the file to be damaged. I have now created an action to save the files as a .pdf in a new folder. The action is currently running but I keep getting prompts to "Save changes to ""File XYZ"" before closing". There are over 100 files in the folder and I keep getting the same prompt to save the excel file before the.pdf is created. I know for certain that I do not have any of these files open, is there to turn off a setting in Actions to prevent the prompts to save from opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact commands did you add to the Action? Also, what's your version of Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Xl Pro, and so far the only command I have added is "Save to Local Folder". The action begins with selecting the folder where all of my files to be converted are saved and then the "Save to Local Folder" is where I direct the PDF's to be saved upon completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Action will automatically convert non PDF-files to PDF and save them in

the same folder as the originals, so maybe just add a blank "Execute a

JavaScript" command or something and then run it on your files.

Just make sure the "Prompt User" box under the command is not ticked.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Thenderson8 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave the blank Execute a JavaScript command a try after the Save to Local Folder command. No luck so far, still getting the  "Save changes to ""File XYZ"" before closing" message after each PDF is created. Ill do some searching around and see if there is anything else I can do. Thanks for the assistance try67, really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I wasn't clear... You should remove the "Save to Local Folder"

command from your Action. Just have the blank Execute a JavaScript command

in there.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Thenderson8 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, I tried this as well and it works essentially the same way. Still exploring how to disable the Auto Save option once each .PDF is created though. Having to click no for each of the 100+ files being converted isn't terrible but it would be nice to not have to perform that step. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it still doesn't work then try using a Save command with the "PDF Optimizer" option ticked on, although it doesn't have to actually perform any optimizations. I tried it with docx files and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nailed it, that was the trick. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi try67,

Following an upgrade to Excel 2016, the action you had assisted me with back in April now only captures the first active sheet in my Excel workbook. I have gone into preferences and verified that the "Convert entire Excel workbook" checkbox is still ticked. Are you aware of any limitations in Excel or Adobe which would prevent Adobe from capturing an entire Excel workbook when creating a PDF version?

Thanks

Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines