• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC Serial Number version will not start.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I build and install computer images for faculty and staff at a university.
Some of these users elect to purchase Acrobat Pro DC in the perpetual serial-number edition to keep the software with the machine through staff changes.

I install the software at build-time and the software cannot get out onto the internet.

When the computer is in place and connected to the network, the user is prompted to enter their Adobe ID to register the product.

Upon successfully entering their adobe ID, the product closes without error.  The product is not registered.Next launch the process repeats.

I have:

-  run a repair on the installation.

-  uninstalled, and re-installed the product

-  run the uninstall and clean utility to remove the product, and any other acrobat-related software and settings, then re-installed.

-  Attempted sign-in with various adobe user accounts.

-  Downloaded the latest serial-number installer from: Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, XI, or X  and installed with that.

The issue persists. 

According to: Known issues | Adobe Acrobat DC, Reader DC :

" Known issues

Activation

Problem: Acrobat DC does not launch if an offline uninstall and reinstall is performed using same Serial Number. [3943212]
          Workaround: Bring the machine online. On the Sign-In screen, choose to sign in now. Acrobat will launch successfully."

The machine is online.  On the sign-in screen, the user chooses to sign in now.  Acrobat DOES NOT launch successfully, but rather quits without error, and without registering the installation.

I believe this series of events does not technically constitute a, "workaround" as a workaround usually involves the product working after going around the problem.

This issue is persistently irritating, and will become problematic as the several dozen computers which run a version of Acrobat Pro need to be replaced and the new, non-functioning software installed.

A forthcoming resolution would be appreciated,

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Okay, so I made a second attempt, This time:

1: Uninstall all adobe acrobat products (Including non-pro versions)  Then reboot the computer.

2: Go to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\, here you need to rename the folder named "SLStore" to "SLStore_old" or you can use any name of your choice. (Please note: ProgramData is a hidden folder and you may not be able to see it. Make sure the hidden files are visible on your computer, you can follow this link for the same: Show hidden files - Windows Help)

3: Go to C:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mielkman_1 ,

Please try the steps given below :-

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\, here you need to rename the folder named "SLStore" to "SLStore_old" or you can use any name of your choice. (Please note: ProgramData is a hidden folder and you may not be able to see it. Make sure the hidden files are visible on your computer, you can follow this link for the same: Show hidden files - Windows Help)
  2. Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SLCache. Delete all the files and folder in this folder. Make sure you don't delete the SLCache itself.

3. Then go to :- C: \ Users \<user folder> \AppData \Local \ Adpbe \ OOBE ,delete this folder.

Then try to install & activate the program.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Yatharth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, YatharthS. 

After following the instructions, first launch of Acrobat Pro DC prompts for sign-in with Adobe account. (Good so far)

Upon sign in, I agree to the EULA, then I am informed the product is unlicensed. (Makes sense, we did rename the SLStore.)

I enter the product license, and am informed I must sign in again to register. (A little redundant, but ok.)

Upon sign in, I see a window, "Verifying Serial Number. This may take a few seconds..." 

The program terminates, without error, and the product does not register or license correctly.

The issue persists. 

Any other ides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I made a second attempt, This time:

1: Uninstall all adobe acrobat products (Including non-pro versions)  Then reboot the computer.

2: Go to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\, here you need to rename the folder named "SLStore" to "SLStore_old" or you can use any name of your choice. (Please note: ProgramData is a hidden folder and you may not be able to see it. Make sure the hidden files are visible on your computer, you can follow this link for the same: Show hidden files - Windows Help)

3: Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SLCache. Delete all the files and folder in this folder. Make sure you don't delete the SLCache itself.

4: Go to :- C: \ Users \<user folder> \AppData \Local \ Adobe \ OOBE ,delete this folder.  I also deleted the Acrobat folder from %userprofile%\AppData\Local, %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow, %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming

5: Used CCleaner to clean registry references

6: Reboot

7: Install Acrobat DC while connected to the internet using the latest downloaded installer, entered serial number where prompted.

8: Reboot the computer without launching Acrobat DC.

9: Launch acrobat DC, Sign in with Adobe Account, accept License Terms

10: Am prompted (again) for serial number.  Entered serial number.

At this point the program successfully launched.  Although I cannot say for sure what the defining difference is between the first attempt and second attempt. 

I'm suspicious the uninstaller is leaving behind some registry references that do not get overwritten on re-install?  The persistent Windows-98-style reboots may also have changed things. 

However, this kind of unpredictable behavior has been the norm for all of our Acrobat Pro DC installs.  Some work fine the first try,  others take 3 or more, some take the above list of playing with hidden files and registry entries to function. 

Thank you for your assistance, however, I do hope the installation for serial-number versions becomes more standardized and less unpredictable with future updates, this takes an inordinate amount of time for those of us with selective use of Adobe programs in an enterprise environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please bear in mind that, while retail perpetual licenses CAN be transferred, it requires paperwork to be signed by the original/previous licensed user. This is not really a suitable model for license reuse in a business, where the old licensee might have left without being contactable or willing to transfer. A business has no transfer rights over retail licenses just because it paid for them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines