• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro Preflight aborts analysis with "not enough memory" on 64-bit Windows 7 despite free/available memory

Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Actually, the issue is not whether there is enough physical memory on your system, but whether Acrobat has exhausted its 32-bit address space. Acrobat under Windows (either 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows) is still a 32-bit application, limited to approximately 4GB of address space, maximum, of virtual memory which per your screen shots, is exhausted.

You didn't indicate what version of Acrobat Pro you are running, but prior to Acrobat DC (i.e., Acrobat 11 and earlier), it was relatively eas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the issue is not whether there is enough physical memory on your system, but whether Acrobat has exhausted its 32-bit address space. Acrobat under Windows (either 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows) is still a 32-bit application, limited to approximately 4GB of address space, maximum, of virtual memory which per your screen shots, is exhausted.

You didn't indicate what version of Acrobat Pro you are running, but prior to Acrobat DC (i.e., Acrobat 11 and earlier), it was relatively easy to run out of virtual memory when using Preflight against long, complex, or both long and complex PDF files.

If you are running Acrobat 11 or earlier, the only fix is to upgrade to Acrobat DC Pro in which many aspects of Preflight were significantly updated including support for long and complex documents and performance.

If you are currently running Acrobat DC Pro, I would personally like you to contact me via a personal message in these forums with the particulars so that I can help analyze what is going on. If there are remaining issues in Acrobat DC Preflight, we would like to remedy them if at all possible.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dov!

We are using Acrobat X Pro, version 10.1.16

I always wondered why the process required so much memory (in this case, 45 times the size of the PDF file itself) and why it could not get it from the OS.

We'll look into upgrading to DC Pro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I am running Acrobat Pro DC (18.009.20044) on a 64-bit desktop with 16GB memory.

When I try to use Preflight to convert a PDF to PDF/A-2b, I received an error message:

not enough memory. Preflight will abort the current analysis.

The PDF is about 99MB with 1130 pages.

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will need to have a copy of the PDF file in order to analyze the problem. Please send me a private message on the forums with a pointer to where we can download the file from.

(And per the previous response I gave, it is not the amount of physical memory that you have, but rather virtual memory and how Acrobat uses same!)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dov,

I have sent you a private message. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines