Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

acrobat XI pro stops working

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have win 7 installed and after the installation of acrobat 11 pro and registration the application starts and then within a few seconds just shuts down. It does not appear to crash, it just closes.  This has been patched to the latest update and behaves the same way, additionally I installed reader and it behaves normally.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Hi All,

We have identified the problem and the fix has been implemented at our end. Please follow the steps in below article on affected machines:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/AcrobatXIcrash.html

Please note that we do not recommend deleting any licensing file from the system.

Regards,

Yatin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joek46169356 ,

Please follow this thread to reset the preferences for the Acrobat software  :- How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat.

Then open Acrobat, navigate to Help menu & repair the installation.

Also try to launch the Application holding 'Shift' Key.

Check with the compatibility mode for Acrobat (Right click Acrobat icon > Properties > Compatibility),if any compatibility is checked please uncheck it & run the acrobat as administrator .

If the issue still persist please check with the different user account to replicate the issue, refer to this article :- Adobe troubleshooting: Creating an admin account in Windows

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Yatharth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried these steps with the same result.  I have also tried an uninstall followed by running the adobe cleanup tool.  After re-installation and update to 11.0.16 the program continues to close out on it's own.  Currently I have tried installing acrobat pr 11 on a freshly imaged computer with only an administrator account active.  The same thing continues to happen.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have workstations experiencing the same issue.  I have tried the steps listed, but the problem persists.  Please reply with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  We have multiple XenApp servers that are displaying the same symptoms.  We have changed nothing on our vDisk image recently so that couldn't be the cause.  It appears that Adobe changed something with their licensing, and numerous people using PVS machines for XenApp are reporting problems.  I'm seeing posts all over the place reporting the same issue.  This issue is widespread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Can you please use the Log Collector tool from: Adobe Creative Cloud Log Collector Tool  and send us the log files along with the serial number you are using at trkumar@adobe.com so that we can investigate further.

Regards,
Rave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent our log files.  Please review ASAP as it is affecting all of our servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Tried to install Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro on a new Windows 10 workstation. I was able to accept the EULA and register. As soon as I open a PDF it immediately closes after 10 or so seconds.

We are an enterprise environment and it just so happened that I needed to install Acrobat 11 yesterday afternoon. That is when the issue occurred first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the adobe uninstall tool to remove any old instances but here is what I tried with no luck:

Completely Uninstalled Adobe Pro, disabled patches so it remained at the 11.0 base with the same symptom.

Following the other forum I disabled security both from within the app and from the registry, no difference

I installed acrobat reader, acrobat reader did not display any of the symptoms but acrobat pro behaved the same way.

Patched Acrobat to the latest version without disabling any symptoms, issue still persists.

This issue only seems to be affecting my VDI users, physical machines appear to be unaffected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having these issues in our XenApp environment, but it does look like any new installs on local machines are having the exact same issue.  I have emailed my logs in, hopefully we hear a response soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are testing out this fix, go to c:\programdata\adobe\slstore, delete the files there (###.lic)

Start Adobe, it recreates those files.

So far so good, we had to do it twice to one PC but they seem to be working now.

I've also noticed a weird thing with the product registration button in help. Sometimes its there, sometimes not, sometimes its grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it! Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the *.lic file worked for us.  Thank you!  I wonder what caused the issue in the first place.  Any ramifications with the license from doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Xenapp environment. Came in to numerous calls and a broken Adobe Acrobat 11. Multiple installations, cleanup of files, registry, etc.. same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will try that suggestion and let you know, we did delete the C:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe folder which didn't have any affect.  I agree this presents like a licensing issue so we will try your suggestion but another thing we thought was odd was that we are using the volume license installer and serial number which displays that it is using the volume license in the regid file under programdata:

<swid:license_linkage>

<swid:activation_status>activated</swid:activation_status>

<swid:channel_type>VOLUME</swid:channel_type>

<swid:customer_type>VOLUME</swid:customer_type>

but in the registry it displays an install type of retail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed that dfriess's solution does in fact resolve our issue as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have identified the problem and the fix has been implemented at our end. Please follow the steps in below article on affected machines:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/AcrobatXIcrash.html

Please note that we do not recommend deleting any licensing file from the system.

Regards,

Yatin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fix, but if I have to run this on every machine that has this issue, it does not seem like a very practical fix considering no changes were made on our end to cause this issue in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, once I deleted those .lic files on one server and re-registered the software, all of the other servers downloaded a new .lic file when Adobe opened. Basically, fixing one fixed them all. I made no changes to the master image in our xenapp environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that is good to know.  That solves the first problem.  We run a hybrid environment, so most of our users run locally.  I'll have to see how to script this out to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple questions for the volume licensing, do we need to repackage the application and redeploy it? Are there specific files in the customization tool that we can just push to the PC's and run those commands in a script so we don't have to install the customization tool on every PC? Are you going to fix this with a patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reply to dfriess -

Do we need to repackage and redeploy Acrobat? - No.

With the commands given in KB article published, we have given a way to deactivate and reactivate already installed and distributed Acrobat 11.0 in your environments. For that you have to use adobe_prtk tool which you can either get from LWS site if you are enterprise customer with access to LWS or you can take adobe_prtk tool from the customization wizard installation. You don't need to use customization wizard again or install it on every machine. We would not recommend you to do that. Instead install wizard on any 1 machine and take prtk tool out of it. Package this tool to your users and run the commands in admin mode on their machine.

The idea here is to not delete licensing files if you are enterprise customer and instead use adobe_prtk tool to :

1st - Deactivate existing License

2nd - Regenerate Volume License Provisioning File

3rd - Deploy the file

The adobe_prtk commands mentioned in KB do exactly the above steps. (Note: You should have a volume serial for this. It will not work for retail serials and retail users)

If you have multiple local machines, you will have to script above commands along with prtk tool to run in admin mode on user clients.

If you are running in Virtualization environments, editing license of Golden Master image (using adobe_prtk commands mentioned in KB article) and then redeploying the image or app will do it for you.

-Karan

Adobe Acrobat Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once we create the prov.xml file, can that be used on multiple machines or do we need to generate a prov.xml file on each machine to use?  I am wondering if this needs packaged to protect the serial number or can we run the command lines?

Edit: I have successfully tested using the same prov.xml file (one for standard installs and one for pro installs).  So I am only running steps 1 and 3 on machines to fix them.

Will all new installs of Pro and Standard have this license problem?  Or only installs that occurred during the time Adobe had the issue with their license server?  I am wondering if we need to remake our install packages to avoid this issue with new installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New installs should not have this issue. And yes you can use the same prov.xml file on all the machines.

-Karan

Adobe Acrobat Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I run the commands listed and try to create a PDF I am prompted to sign in to Adobe.  Not sure what to do, we have a volume license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines