• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC | Future of Portfolios and Response Files | AD of Adobe Flash Player

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am an adobe acrobat developer and enthusiast for just about anything that relates to interactive and dynamic pdf forms. I had a serious workflow question for Adobe Acrobat DC.

What is the future of Adobe Acrobat Response files after Acrobat Flash Player is discontinued in late 2020?

Will acrobat portfolios and response files still be supported after the discontinuation of Adobe Flash Player? I understand portfolios and response files rely on the flash player engine and its components to function as intended. I cannot find any documentation as to how or if this function will be affected. If so, I would love to know as soon as possible to prep my organization for alternative soltions.

Thank you for your time.

Bryan

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

What's Flash? (ha ha)

Only Adobe can answer this, and I doubt they will until the deadline hits the fan 😉 And maybe not even then. 

However, the form distribution response file does not depend on Flash or Portfolios. Portfolios are based on a previous technology called collections. This is the important bit and it does not rely on Flash. Flash is just a bit of flash (for display purposes only) on top of the collection, which does all the real work behind the response file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Thanks Thom for responding! 

Truely flattered, you are my idol when it comes to development for acrobat applications. I learned a lot from your works, you are amazing!

Unfortunate we do not have a firm answer on use after flash, but my team and I have found a nice workaround outside of response files entirely:

Open ANY PDF>Edit>Form options>Merge Data File into Spreadsheet (can also find under the prepare form tab/category or by typing in "Merge Data")>Select ALL PDFs you want in the spreadsheet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's Flash? (ha ha)

Only Adobe can answer this, and I doubt they will until the deadline hits the fan 😉 And maybe not even then. 

However, the form distribution response file does not depend on Flash or Portfolios. Portfolios are based on a previous technology called collections. This is the important bit and it does not rely on Flash. Flash is just a bit of flash (for display purposes only) on top of the collection, which does all the real work behind the response file. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Thom for responding! 

Truely flattered, you are my idol when it comes to development for acrobat applications. I learned a lot from your works, you are amazing!

Unfortunate we do not have a firm answer on use after flash, but my team and I have found a nice workaround outside of response files entirely:

Open ANY PDF>Edit>Form options>Merge Data File into Spreadsheet (can also find under the prepare form tab/category or by typing in "Merge Data")>Select ALL PDFs you want in the spreadsheet. BOOM!!! No need for distribution or a response file at all!!! 

Hope this solution helps those that fall in the same boat with general users that need to collect data in agregate from multiple form responses. 

Easy enough for a general user to run and rip data from Acrobat DC. Works great. 

Best,

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would go with the export to Excel option anyway. Depending on services like form distribution is a good way to get screwed down the line when Adobe pulls the plug.  

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thom,

We have the form distribution response file collecting PDFs and converting them to excel.

Now with Flash support ending, it should still work right ? Is this correct understanding ?

If not is there any work around for it ?

Please do let me know as it is one of the very important steps which the agents run daily to collect some data.

Thanks and Regards,

Sunil Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just published a new (paid-for) tool I've created to convert Flash-based PDF Portfolios to normal PDF files (with the original files attached). It's bundled with this other similar tool I've created a while ago:

https://www.try67.com/tool/convert-portfolio-pdf-to-normal-pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! I was wondering if anything has changed on this since Nov? I am simply trying view responses from the tracker and it tells me I need Adobe Flash. Then the links I follow tell me that it's done and gone. I'm in a circle of hell! lol Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find myself in the same boat. This is a relatively siple system I set up to collect waiver forms, and i really don't want to have to redesign the whole process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check your version of Acrobat/Reader is fully up to date. Old versions will certainly want Flash (and won't get it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines