• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to run an Acrobat script from outside of Acrobat?

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening, is there any way to access, and run a Javascript program from outside of Acrobat? Let's say that there is an external program that wants to run a document automatically, is there any way to have an external program run an Acrobat program at all?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

You don't really run Acrobat JavaScript code outside of Acrobat. With IAC, you can use the Forms API, which isn't the same as Acrobat JavaScript. There is the ExecuteThisScript IAC method (Acrobat DC SDK Documentation​), which is what I'd suggest you use. The Acrobat JavaScript code that it executes can be in Folder-level JavaScripts or document-level JavaScripts within whatever document is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat supports IAC which can be used to execute scripts. For more details try the Acrobat SDK forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will most certainly check it out sir, but I do have one last question:  Will we have to change anything within our scripts to accommodate for the IAC at all?  Like change this.getField to something else, and of the like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, but I don't really use IAC so I can't say for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't really run Acrobat JavaScript code outside of Acrobat. With IAC, you can use the Forms API, which isn't the same as Acrobat JavaScript. There is the ExecuteThisScript IAC method (Acrobat DC SDK Documentation​), which is what I'd suggest you use. The Acrobat JavaScript code that it executes can be in Folder-level JavaScripts or document-level JavaScripts within whatever document is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines