• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there any Inter-application communication API methods to open Visio documents as PDF?

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to accomplish this using the Open method on the AcroExch.AVDoc object and that did not work. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Seenu

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Acrobat does not support native conversion of Visio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open a Visio document in Acrobat Directly?  In order for Acrobat to open a non-PDF file, it has to have a conversion for it. If the conversion exists on you system, then you can potentially use it from a script to open the file.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom,

Thank you for your response. I cannot open the Visio file in Acrobat directly either. Do I need to have some plug-in for the conversion to happen? I have Adobe Acrobat version XI installed.

Thanks,

Seenu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat does not support native conversion of Visio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironseth,

Is the native conversion not supported only for Visio? I was able to use the same method to convert excel to PDF.

Thanks,

Seenu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is supported for many of the Office apps, but not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to convert the Visio document to PDF from within Visio. See here for an appropriate VBA method: Document.ExportAsFixedFormat Method (Visio)

You can also (from within Visio's VBA) print to the Adobe PDF printer, and use the programatic methods to prevent the filename dialog (see here for more information about this: Prevent the Save Dialog when Printing to the Adobe PDF Printer​)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Karl,

Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to look into the ExportAsFixedFormat method and let you know the results. 

Thanks,

Seenu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines