Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

autocomplete a text field in AcroForm with a controlled list of choices

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a basic text field via Acrobat form to collect location info.

Let's say that I guess some users will for sure type Chicago, NewYork, LosAngeles for sure, so I want to harvest -at least these inputs- in  a "clear" format.

So, I would like to know if it is possible to embed into a text field a property somehow which contains a list of let's say per-assumptions, and to offer the user who fills the form (via reader) some suggestions when entering the letters in the corresponding text field.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why re-invent the wheel? Just use a drop-down field... You can enable the user to enter custom text, if you want to allow them to enter something that's not in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is I can have hundreds of different options but I only can guess at this stage ten of it, so it will be better if I stick to the textfield from the perceptual point of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So? Add ten to the list and if need be add more later on. I don't see how using a text field will solve this issue any better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your concern, thank u, but it's a preference -i.e., I do not want to include a drop-down, simple.

So: I am asking if it is possible to do so in a text field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how it's going to work, but maybe Joel has a better idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny - I was working on this problem just yesterday. I don't like Dropdowns because I don't like the little arrow on the side. I like the behavior though. I should have something that meets your needs in a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I will appreciate such a feedback!

Thank you from now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made any progress?  I have a form with a grid of fields, in some of the fields I build a list based on the data in that column and want to autocomplete and I also don't like the idea of using a drop-down because of the arrow.  Perhaps the trick might be to create a combo box with the size and location of the text field after one or more characters have been entered and then treat it with the combo box filled by the array of data I have built.  I want to be able to control which columns will autocomplete.

Help

mfhenning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made progress but what I'm putting together is a bit more involved than some simple code. It's going to function a lot more like jQuery and Bootstrap were you tell it what text field that you want to convert to an "Advanced Combo Box" and it destroys the original field and creates two new ones, adds the right JavaScript to them, and does a bunch of other stuff to hook them together; non-trivial and very pretty.

How pretty? Take a look at what I did for radio buttons and checkboxes.

Interior Design: Improving the User Experience for Interactive Forms  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel,

Nice, any idea of when and how much?

Attached is a copy of my not quite working form. The last version of

the form didn't have the Auto-Complete but works pretty well without it.

I would be interested in any comments you have.

Best,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe a week and it'll be free.

All of the tools that I create to my own specifications will be free. If you want something specific to your needs, I can be engaged for consulting services but I suspect, you'll be very happy with what I put together on my own.

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines