Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BasicPlugin Error

Advocate ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I tried to build the BasicPlugin in Acorbat DC, but I get the error message below I shared here.

Could you please anyone give your guidance, I didn't find the steps configuration Acrobat SDK documentation, or could you please tell in which page they mentioend the configuration settings.

Steps I followed:

1. Copy the Acrobat SDK to my C:\Acrobat_DC_SDK\Version 1\PluginSupport\Samples\BasicPlugin\win32\
2. Run the BasicPlugin project via VS 2017 Community Edition.
3. I get the alert message below screenshot I shared, could you please guide me how to build the BasicPlugin sample project.

csm_phil_0-1617342077503.png

thx,
csm_phil

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally I find that if you run the right version of Visual Studio you get the right Windows SDK with it. What version of Visual Studio is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, 2017. I think this version of the SDK was written for VS 2019, please check the docs.

Now, an experienced VS and Acrobat programmer can fix things up to work with other releases, but if you are new to this, the whole process of getting your first plug-in to run will be so painful and complicated that you really don't need extra obstacles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As per your guidance I downloaded the VS2019 and installed again I complied the Build, it's showing the same error message why can't build the BasicPlugin successfully, In guide they didn't provide the proper configuration and setting to do, could you please share your ideas.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try changing the SDK version?  

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Thom Parker

Thanks for your kind reply!

I don't know where to include the paths.

Here I shared my settings, please check and advice.

Please check and advice, or can you share the guide which page they mentioned to give the configuration settings.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you use the actual version of the Acrobat DC SDK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure, But I downloaded from the Adobe DC SDK from the Adobe website (Acrobat_DC_SDK_Windows_2021_v2.zip), why did you ask this question, is this wrong version I'm using.

Could you please share the link shall I download and testing again.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different versions of the SDK requires different versions of Visual Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Thom Parker

You mean change the SDK version here,

Even I changed the version, still I'm getting same error message.

csm_phil_0-1617377129582.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Anyone can guide or help me.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed the Windows SDK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Bernd Alheit
csm_phil_0-1617812081741.png

By @Bernd Alheit
Hi @Bernd Alheit,

Now I re-installed VS 2019 and include the Windows 10.0.18362, now it's works, the Basic Plugin generated and added into the Acrobat DC menu.

Thanks you so much!!!

You know well, my actual request is new window options to set the URL that is (app.launchURL) in opened PDF document and also set as watch folder concepts.

I'll get back if anywhere I'm struck, as you mentioned this would be achievable only in Plugin that why try to achive my requirements.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Bernd Alheit

I'ts very hard to find out respective head file, now I find it out the header file.

#include "WLHFT.h"
#include "WLHFTProcs.h"

I can't read the URL texts from the opened PDF file. Any suggestion or ideas could you please guide me.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you can compile plug-ins, you need to understand the plug-in API. This is large, rich, and rarely has an API to simply do what you want. It gives access to PDF internals, not solutions. So most plug-in programmers need to read not only the plug-in API but also the PDF Reference.

I suggest you spend a few weeks immersed in these many thousands of pages of documentation, then start a new thread indicating which parts of either the API, or the PDF Reference, don't make sense; or saying you are looking for the API to access particular items described in the PDF Reference.

This is a fascinating journey. It isn't a quick one... and unless your time is not billed to anyone, it isn't likely to be cost effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, the WLHFT routines are used to make weblink servers. I've never done this and I'm not entirely sure what they are for, but it seems to allow you to create a web server back end for Acrobat. This is very advanced stuff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, the WLHFT routines are used to make weblink servers. I've never done this and I'm not entirely sure what they are for, but it seems to allow you to create a web server back end for Acrobat. This is very advanced stuff. 

By @Test Screen Name

Thanks for your kind reply!

I'm requesting straight forward how to read the PDF document URL links, I didn't find out any examples or class files, could you please share any ideas or guides!

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "read the document URL links" method. This information is all in the PDF of course, so the general routines to get information from the PDF can be used to get information.

The Acrobat SDK is for use in C. There are no classes in C. You will not in general find examples of what you want to do for anything - the examples are there to illustrate details of the API, not to solve tasks. As I have said, this is not a quick journey. It will reques deep and long study of documentation. I repeat, because I meant it, because I've been there: "This is a fascinating journey. It isn't a quick one... and unless your time is not billed to anyone, it isn't likely to be cost effective."  As an experienced C programmer who knew the PDF internals from cover to cover, I budgeted a couple of months of experiment before I could start work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Test Screen,

Fine, thanks for your kind reply!

I'll check and read the documentation again and again, if I get any spark, get back to you on my next mileston steps.

thx,
csm_phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines