Bates Number help - Multiple Font Sizes - Varying Dimensions/DPI

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I work in the legal field and we like to use Acrobat to perform bates numbering. An issue I've had for a while now is when a PDF contains images of varying dimensions, a single font size bate number doesn't always scale to the image as we would like. A standard letterhead images looks perfect with a font size of, let say, 12. When the next image is an ultra high quality photo with a huge dimensions size, a 12 pt font size is impossible to read when the image is scaled to fit in Acrobat. When the next image is a logo with very small dimensions, the 12 pt font size is monstrously large and most often does not fit when printed across the image.

I'm fully open to Java, VBA, or other scripting if necessary. I know I would be able to determine the proper viewing font size which could scale with images when viewed on a monitor. I wrote a little script to use on another program which I could use to drag and drop a folder of single page tif/jpg images onto an exe which would export a delimited file with data including the file name, height/width and DPI. I then had it import into an excel file where I had some VBA and formulas do a quick piece of math to determine a scalable font size for each image. (I'm not that knowledgeable with VBA to be able to create this on my own. My knowledge comes from asking questions in forums such as this and decimating all that I can learn while using google to help fill in the gaps. I'm usually able to bring something together but I still need help.)

Is there any method, even including VBA, Java, or other coding languages, which I can use to bate number a PDF using multiple font sizes? The font size needs to scale with each image's dimensions to be viewed proportionally on a monitor.

Thank you so much

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Bates Number help - Multiple Font Sizes - Varying Dimensions/DPI

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I work in the legal field and we like to use Acrobat to perform bates numbering. An issue I've had for a while now is when a PDF contains images of varying dimensions, a single font size bate number doesn't always scale to the image as we would like. A standard letterhead images looks perfect with a font size of, let say, 12. When the next image is an ultra high quality photo with a huge dimensions size, a 12 pt font size is impossible to read when the image is scaled to fit in Acrobat. When the next image is a logo with very small dimensions, the 12 pt font size is monstrously large and most often does not fit when printed across the image.

I'm fully open to Java, VBA, or other scripting if necessary. I know I would be able to determine the proper viewing font size which could scale with images when viewed on a monitor. I wrote a little script to use on another program which I could use to drag and drop a folder of single page tif/jpg images onto an exe which would export a delimited file with data including the file name, height/width and DPI. I then had it import into an excel file where I had some VBA and formulas do a quick piece of math to determine a scalable font size for each image. (I'm not that knowledgeable with VBA to be able to create this on my own. My knowledge comes from asking questions in forums such as this and decimating all that I can learn while using google to help fill in the gaps. I'm usually able to bring something together but I still need help.)

Is there any method, even including VBA, Java, or other coding languages, which I can use to bate number a PDF using multiple font sizes? The font size needs to scale with each image's dimensions to be viewed proportionally on a monitor.

Thank you so much

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 14, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it all within Acrobat, using JavaScript.

Such a script can determine the size of each page (a bit tricky, as there are multiple page boxes), and then use the formula you developed to calculate the desired font size, and then add the header text.

If you have Acrobat Pro it can even be used to process multiple files in a single go, as long as the number is relatively small (up to 500 at a time)...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming my belief that it's possible!

try67, would you happen to know what sort of terms I can search for to learn about how to go about this? I'm going to sit down tomorrow and give it a go. Thank again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A key when searching for info is that it is not Java. It's JavaScript, which is utterly different. If you use the wrong name you'll get stuff that makes no sense. No space on the name. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2017 0