• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to get selected text extracted from Adobe Reader

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My the goal is to get currently selected text in Adobe Reader from another application. As I'm a newbie in Adobe SDK development, firstly I'd like to know is it possible to do this at all and what it the best approach. Currently I got it working from my C++ application by sending Copy Menu ID message to Adobe's main window and then retrieving text from clipboard but this solution is not stable because time to time this ID changes. I wonder - can I implement selected text copy/extraction by use of some Adobe's technology (IAC, plug-in, etc.) and what is the right solution for this aim? Thanks.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Using the Reader application limits what you can do through IAC, to file open and file print, there is not much else you can call.I believe the MenuitemExecute IAC call is not allowed in the Reader, haven't tested this, but the documentation doesn't say it is available, which normally means it isn't.

If you were to use the full acrobat application, there there are options but I don't think this is possible with the Reader application and the Adobe exposed calls.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth knowing that the Acrobat SDK is a tool for Acrobat, NOT for Reader. Yes, there are few methods in Reader too, very limited, as noted in the documentation. EACH end user needs an Acrobat license. There is no redistributable alternative to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explanation. If I understood well, please, correct me:

1 Adobe Reader has very restricted abilities comparing to Adobe Acrobat. And if I get things worked for Adobe Acrobat most probably that would not work for Reader.

2 The only way to work with Reader's content is to write plug-in. But every plug-in needs to get Adobe approval license and key, so it's not free.

3 For ExecuteMenuItem() approach testing with Adobe Reader I need to install Acrobat SDK anyway.

3 Acrobat SDK works only with installed Adobe Acrobat, so for plug-in design I need to purchase Adobe Acrobat or use 7 days trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1,2 yes

3 executemenuitem not available with IAC to Reader

4 Acrobat SDK doesn’t “work”, it’s mainly documentation. plugin designers need Acrobat full time to develop and debug; debugging In Reader very hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you want to develop a plugin that works in Reader you need to get a special license for it from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is point 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines