• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calculate Function for Adobe Sign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have set up my form to calculate 1 point for each checkbox selected. I have a text box with a the calculate operation as sum and I picked all the check boxes that need to be counted as a point when selected. Works perfectly when tested in Acrobat but, when I send for signature, it no longer calculates the total in my text box. I have no idea why it stops calculating when it goes through Adobe Sign. Any insight on this?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Actually, after doing some more extensive research, I finally found the solution. AdobeSignTextTags​

Adobe Sign - Calculated Fields

Will use this to figure out the tags to use. Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The built in "Fill & Sign" features of Acrobat/Reader DC flatten out form fields as part of the process. So these fields don't exist after signing. Acrobat popups a note about this at the time you place the signature.

The idea being that no changes should be made to the PDF after signing. A signature signifies you are agreeing to the document as it is at the time of the signature. Changing the document invalidates this agreement.

If you want to have a different kind of workflow, then there are ways to get around this issue, but it means using a different type of signature.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The calculation would take place during the fill process. When I send the document, I am able to interact with the check boxes, it just doesn't calculate it in my totaling text box for me like it does when clicking the fields in the acrobat app window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain in greater detail.  When the calculation is not working, how are you viewing the PDF? In Acrobat? Is Acrobat in any special mode? Can you post this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine in Acrobat. It stops calculating after I send it out for signature. So, I assume the conversion from Acrobat to Adobe Sign form is causing the issue and I'm not sure how to get around that.

I would have to send it through Adobe Sign so you could open the link from your email. It calculates properly in the Acrobat app, it stops calculating after it's sent via Adobe Sign and the document is accessed from the link that is sent to the recipients email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you send for signing the form fields are modified, but more importantly, the sign link is not to a PDF file, but rather to a flash rendering of the original file. So there is no reason why the Acrobat JavaScript calculations would work in this view. These calculations only work when the PDF is viewed in a compliant viewer, such as Acrobat/Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, after doing some more extensive research, I finally found the solution. AdobeSignTextTags​

Adobe Sign - Calculated Fields

Will use this to figure out the tags to use. Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sign environment is very different from the regular PDF forms. It operates in it's own separate world. I apologize for not looking into it further. But keep in mind that this form will also not work in the regular PDF environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries, not your fault at all. I assumed functionality built in Acrobat would translate when the document is sent. Just glad these tags are available to carry the functionality to the sign environment. After signing and submitting, the PDF becomes encrypted anyway. Just need clients to be able to see their total number when completing the form. Need to make everything dummy-proof these days, haha. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines