Can a LiveCycle export data to or save completed form as images/static PDF?

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client with an external file upload Web application that used to work with InfoPath forms. The client came to me to build 508 compliant PDF versions of the InfoPath forms so that they could discontinue them. I found out later that the form submission process included uploading to a Web application that apparently only accepts image (JPG, GIF, TIFF, PNG) and it looks like static PDF forms. The form that I produced for them using LiveCycle came out great, but now we're dealing with how to get this additional upload step; and of course, the people that work on the external Web application aren't flexible with their technology. Other than the aforementioned image/PDF formats that it does accept, I don't know what server-side technology they're using to upload files (PHP, Classic ASP or .NET, etc.) or the database type (or if it even uses a database - I'm assuming it does, though). You know the client doesn't really know, so it's all kinda on me to provide the best solution.

I've looked into converting LiveCycle forms into static PDF's and it looks like it's not possible (unless I'm missing something). We tried setting the fields to read-only (kinda mimicking a static form, I guess) but the application didn't accept the PDF when they tried to upload it. I was considering looking to see if the application accepted Excel spreadsheets but that's when I got clarification on what it DID accept. The LiveCycle form has flowable text fields and repeating table rows so even if there were a way to transfer the data from the LiveCycle form to a static PDF form that could be uploaded, I don't know of a way that would safely capture the dynamic data. Then I thought, maybe I could set up something that, when submitted, transfers the data to another PDF (maybe another LiveCycle Master page but without the form layout, etc. - kinda like outputting to a blank sheet that's easy to read) but it still wouldn't be static... so, I don't know. The limitations that these people (not my clients) put on this technology and what it's capable of as a means of getting them the data that they want is frustrating.

I'm still trying to find out what they were able to do with the InfoPath forms (that were replaced with the LiveCycle forms) since it looks like they used that with this Web application long before they came to me.

I apologize for the ambiguity, but that's all I really have at this point. If anybody has any ideas, please chime in!

I appreciate the help!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There’s nothing to upload a PDF form as an image, never has been. I suspect some information is crossed somewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines