• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Plug-Ins be Created With Visual Studio 2017?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any problem with using Visual Studio Professional 2017 to develop C++ plug-ins for Adobe Acrobat?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Each release of the SDK has a specific release of Visual Studio/Xcode, to match the version used to compile Acrobat. Your plugin becomes part of Acrobat so you must play nice.

An experienced plugin develop can often get things to work with other releases, but if you’re new you may face endless frustration with no way to know if your issues are version incompatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each release of the SDK has a specific release of Visual Studio/Xcode, to match the version used to compile Acrobat. Your plugin becomes part of Acrobat so you must play nice.

An experienced plugin develop can often get things to work with other releases, but if you’re new you may face endless frustration with no way to know if your issues are version incompatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SDK Version I have is for VS 2013.  I only have access to VS 2017, and I am a C++ noob.  So it appears that my project is screwed and I am screwed.  This is a very big disappointment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft make old versions of Visual Studio available. You might consider using a VM to keep each release separate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.  I am building a new development machine with lots of storage, memory and fast graphics.  A VM would work well on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am even more confused.  While reading the SDK documentation again, I noticed that under the heading of "Supported Environments", Adobe says that only the Visual Studio 2010 compiler is acceptable.  However, the sample files are apparently compiled with VS 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, express will not work. You need the full version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am even more confused.  While reading the SDK documentation again, I noticed that under the heading of "Supported Environments", Adobe says that only the Visual Studio 2010 compiler is acceptable.  However, the sample files are apparently compiled with VS 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC SDK is for VS 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Most of the Acrobat SDK is a fairly lightweight "C" interface, where you load host function pointers ("tables," or HFTs) from Acrobat itself, with only a single source file (PIMain.c) that you compile into your plug-in.  There's no C++ interface like in other plug-in SDKs (such as the InDesign SDK), so you don't really have any binary compatibility issues using a different compiler.  We are able to build Acrobat plug-ins using a wide range of compilers, on both Windows and Mac (though the compiler version is not tied as closely to the IDE version in Xcode as it is in Visual Studio).  Currently we use VS2015 and Xcode 4 (with Apple LLVM 4.2), but I know firsthand that VS2005 through VS2015 and Xcode 4 through Xcode 7 work with the Acrobat DC SDK, and I don't see why newer ones wouldn't also work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying even after I had already marked a correct answer for this post.  With this new information, I will go boldly ahead with my VS2017 with confidence that it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested to learn of your experience with trying VS2017 Rob.  Would really appreciate your guidance as we evaluate this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Boa noite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines