• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Checkbox: How to auto-populate when checked / remove info when unchecked.

New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I set up the check-boxes to auto-populate fields when checked, then remove the info from the field when unchecked. I am a complete beginner when it comes to javascript. This is what I have soo far based on looking at online forums.

Basically the checkbox represents a product. If the person is interested in choosing this product, I want them to click the checkbox so that info goes to the next page for the final form. If they accidentally click the checkbox, I want the information to be removed.

if (getField("Box1").value!="Yes") 

this.getField("profile").value = this.getField("Landmark").value;

if (getField("Box1").value!="No") 

this.getField("profile").value = " ".value;

I inserted screenshots below. The one checkbox that says "Landmark" is the Landmark Field. The second screenshot, I want that information to go to "Product Name" which is the profile field.

I only did this one check box, but plan on having all the selections, in screenshot one, have check boxes that go to the profile field.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

When a check-box is unticked its value is always "Off", not "No".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incorrect:

this.getField("profile").value = " ".value;

Change it to:

this.getField("profile").value = " ";

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried that and didn't get any results. Just to make sure I understood correctly, is this right?

if (getField("Box1").value!="Yes") 

if (getField("Box1").value!="No") 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you put the code? Why are you using the "!=" (NOT EQUALS) operator? It seems to make more sense to use the "==" (EQUALS) operator for this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the code in the check box actions as java script. I only used that operator because I found it online. I'm still new to javascript. I updated it as you recommended and it still populates, but doesn't remove the information once unchecked. This is what I have soo far:

if (getField("Box1").value=="Yes")

if (getField("Box1").value=="No")

Any ideas what else I could be doing wrong? Doing the "==" operator already helped a lot. Just can't figure out why it isn't removing the info when unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a check-box is unticked its value is always "Off", not "No".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect! That worked!

One more question. If I wanted multiple field to populate additional fields, what would the script be for that? So currently, I have when the check box is checked, it takes one field "Landmark" and put it in another field "profile". Can I have it take do that sequence and also put an additional sequence telling it to take "field1" info to "field2"? basically two different sequences when one check box is checked. And of course remove the info from both sequences when box is unchecked. This is what I came up with soo far.

if (getField("Box1").value=="Yes")

this.getField("profile").value = this.getField("field1").value;

if (getField("Box1").value=="Off")

this.getField("field2").value = " ";

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines