Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a password for a check box

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new to using an editable PDF form and want to use one for my lab class.  I am able to create the form and I would like to put a check box in place, so that only I can access with a password to indicate that the student has completed that particular portion of the lab.  I understand that you would need a java script, but I have no idea of how to create this script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Anything involving internal JavaScript isn't suitable for your needs. A resourceful student could get all of your code in seconds, and then figure out the password from that. I recommend a secure external resource rather than a file to which they have access.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want this to be a minor formality that anyone could easily bypass, or a hacker-proof secure thing (that might be used as academic proof, for example)? Bear in mind students often have the time, skills and motivation to hack even quite complicated things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  While I will be in class with them, this is for a network and security course and students are quite resourceful.  I don't want anything that the students could easily bypass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything involving internal JavaScript isn't suitable for your needs. A resourceful student could get all of your code in seconds, and then figure out the password from that. I recommend a secure external resource rather than a file to which they have access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would you recommend to use with the PDF form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. This doesn't belong in the PDF form. It's like handing the student a piece of paper with a space for them to fill in their own grade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your advice and help.  As an aside, could you send me the script that you said was a minor formality so I can have a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines