Displaying Field Based on Value Range

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my form, I'm trying to display a text box based on the value entered in another field (labeled Rating) falling into the range of 3.5 to 5.0. I've done a lot of research and everything I found says that the jscript code below should do what I want, but clearly I'm missing something as it has no effect. Note, I'm putting this as a custom calculation script in the box I want to show/hide.

---------------------------

if ((this.getField("Rating").value > "3.5") || (this.getField("Rating").value < "5")){

event.target.display = display.visible;

}

else{

event.target.display = display.hidden;

}

--------------------------

Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Jim

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Most Valuable Participant , Aug 01, 2017
try67 Most Valuable Participant , Aug 01, 2017
Your condition doesn't make sense... Any number is either bigger than 3.5 or smaller than 5. Maybe you mean bigger then 3.5 AND smaller then 5? If so, replace "||" with "&&" in your code (without the quotes).

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change that first line to the following:

if ((this.getField("Rating").value > 3.5) || (this.getField("Rating").value < 5)){

So that the comparison is using numerical values, not strings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dangit, I posted the one with quotes...

My last try was as you suggested (below) and it also seems to do nothing.. I can set "Rating" field to 2, 3, 6, etc.. and the field always shows.

--------------------

if ((this.getField("Rating").value > 3.5) || (this.getField("Rating").value < 5)){

event.target.display = display.visible;

}

else{

event.target.display = display.hidden;

}

-------------------------------

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your condition doesn't make sense... Any number is either bigger than 3.5 or smaller than 5. Maybe you mean bigger then 3.5 AND smaller then 5? If so, replace "||" with "&&" in your code (without the quotes).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Try67! You were correct, using the "OR" logic instead of "AND" made it work perfectly....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other way around, you mean...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, correct.... I was going to edit and fix it.. but apparently I can't edit my own post...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change or delete a posting when there are no replies.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines