Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export specific PDF blocks to Excel cells

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have multiple PDF's with fillable data, each form that is filled out has unique data for each person that uses it.  I would like to find a way to take portions of the form and export the data to an excel sheet in a formatted manner i.e. block 1 of the pdf is exported to cell 1A  and block 2 to cell 1B of the excel workbook and so on.  Then I would like it to open a second pdf and do the same but add the data from block 1 to cell 2A and so on down the row.

The systems that this would be run on do not allow third party software so I am limited in my potential solutions to Powershell, Java or builtin Microsoft or adobe products.

Thank You for your help

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

You need to learn how to use JavaScript in a LCD form.

You can start here: Adobe - Acrobat Developer Center | Adobe Developer Connection

The relevant forum: LiveCycle Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done using JavaScript in Acrobat Pro. Are you allowed to use

that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67,

Yes I can use Java script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you can do it, if you have Acrobat Pro. It will require the development of a custom-made script, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67,

Would you be able to point me in the right direction as far as how to begin building such a script.  All the google searches so far have only pointed me to exporting or merging the data.   This particular form is not capable of being exported but allows copy and pasting.

I am only just beginning in the world of scripting, but I am willing to learn. I just need to know what to research.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean, "this form is not capable of being exported"? If that's the case then the data is either not in form fields, which makes things much more complicated, or the file is protected, in which case you can't do it (with Acrobat).

Would it be possible for you to share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67, 

I can provide you with a link to the website that hosts the form.  It is a Gov form for military use and is freely available.  Which is also why it is restricted in some aspects but not all. 

https://armypubs.army.mil/pub/eforms/DR_a/pdf/ARN6954_A31_Final.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a tricky form because it was created using something called LiveCycle Designer, not Acrobat, and also because it is secured.

It might be possible to do what you described, but it will require quite a complex solution. If you're interested in hiring someone to develop it for you feel free to contact me privately (try6767 at gmail.com) and we could discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67,

As much as I would like to say I could allocate funding for this project I cannot.  I am hoping to learn how to accomplish this task and implement it as a solution in the future.

Any chance you can give me a starting point on how I would accomplish this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to learn how to use JavaScript in a LCD form.

You can start here: Adobe - Acrobat Developer Center | Adobe Developer Connection

The relevant forum: LiveCycle Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

My understanding is that you don't have rights to change the form? is that correct?

And can you provide a the link, but I think, as try67 stated, it will be very difficult to manage this, particularly if you don't have rights to change the form.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understood there's no need to change the actual form, just extract the form data from it and export it to a text file. That should be possible with this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I haven't had a chance to look at the file, will be doing that later this afternoon, but if the form doesn't have rights to export data then it may be difficult to get the data out. Will update once I have had a chance to look at the form.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content Copying is allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Yip, I agree with try67​ it should be possible and he has directed you in the correct direction. the Desginer forum would be place to ask this question.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarlaeDC,

Try67 is correct in that I only wish to extract specific blocks of information from the form and have them sent to an excel worksheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your input,  I will submit this question to the LiveCycle Designer forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines