• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help a newbie simple edit a file.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there is a very simple explanation for this. Our business uses a Bill of Sale in pdf format for all of our dealings, recently its come to my attention there is a single line that is off in the calculation, and all I need to do is add one more field to the total cost calulation, but anytime I make ANY change to the file and save it, it no longer populates the Total amount of sale. I was making a simple javascript addition to the text box, to make sure it adds the sum of 6 different text box's to my total cost. But as soon as I add the +text field130 to the existing script then save, my last text field "total cost" no longer populates.

I even tried just changing a random letter in the file and then changing it back to what it was, just so i could save the file. Once I did that, it still no longer populated.

Help?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

For the spaces in the field names you must use \ .

E.g. Text\ Field123

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What script does you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Simplified field notation" it's an option on the "calculate" tab under text field properties. It's just simple Javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text Field123+Text Field124+Text Field125+Text Field126+Text Field127-Text Field128 ------Is the script thats already there and working fine. But as soon as I add +Text Field130 to the script, it no longer populates my total cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the spaces in the field names you must use \ .

E.g. Text\ Field123

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain the reasoning for me? The pre-existing working script that I pasted here works just fine without the \ but I added it in anyway and now even my new addition works all of a sudden. It makes no sense to me. Is it an old way of writing vs a new way of writing or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use \ for all special characters in field names, like space, +, -, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Simplified Field Notation entry has to be parsed. This means all the bits of text have to be broken up and recognized as field names and operators. Several punctuation characters have special meaning, the space is a seperator, "+" means add, etc.  So if there is a punctuation character in a field name, then the parse engine has to be told to ignore it so it can determine what is and is not a field name, hence the escape character. A good rule of thumb is to never use punctuation in a field name. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom_Parker that explanation makes perfect sense to me, what doesnt make sense is why the pre-existing script worked WITHOUT the \ inserted, and it wasnt until I tried to change the file in ANY way, that it no longer worked. I can only conclude that when the file was originally created, the \ wasn't required to identify the space, and in the newer versions of Adobe it was required to show variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it's always been that way.  Because you know, parseing the input was always required, and it always has the same issues. There is something else going on. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah okay, well I appreciate the response, the main thing is it's now working. Thanks very much everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines