• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automate adding bookmarks that open other documents?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an archive of about 100 magazines in individual PDF files that I want to distribute, along with with relevant indexes. Each separate issue has bookmarks for its contents and I also have title, author and volume indexes for the whole collection. I want each magazine to include navigation to all these indexes but I'm really not sure I'm approaching the problem the right way.

The approach I've taken is to add bookmarks to each magazine before its table of contents: one entry each for of the volume, author and title indexes with the action for each to Open a file. This works when I add by hand but it will take a *long* time to add to every magazine. I've tried Javascript and can automatically add the extra bookmarks but I can't add an action to open a file: it seems all I can do via the JS API is to run a Javascript and I've seen comments that this doesn't work on tablets or phones, and in any case it presumably needs all the recipients to have enabled JS.

An alternative would be to create an extra page of links that can be included in each magazine that itself can have a "Navigation" bookmark, but this would require an extra click and seems clunky!

I'd really appreciate suggestions on how best to handle this - many thanks.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

There isn't really much that we can offer. You are correct that the action associated with bookmarks created using a script can only be to execute a script. If you want actions of another type you will need to use a plugin or a stand-alone tool. It can't be done using a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't really much that we can offer. You are correct that the action associated with bookmarks created using a script can only be to execute a script. If you want actions of another type you will need to use a plugin or a stand-alone tool. It can't be done using a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rats! Thanks for the quick reply, I think I'll have to live with doing it manually...it would take longer to get to grips with plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're interested in hiring someone to develop a standalone tool that will do it, feel free to contact me privately (try6767 at gmail.com). I've developed similar tools in the past, so it should not be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines