• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import and sort data from embedded excel sheet?

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a work excel sheet with multiple columns (for security purposes we will pretend its a bank, where column A=account name B=account number C=co-account owner D=Amount in account) and 10,000 rows (lots of people in bank). 

I have a PDF with a table that this information needs to go into, but not all 10,000 rows. I want to set it up where on my PDF in the blank table I can type column A, B, and C information and it will auto-search the excel document to auto-populate column D for that row. 

Is this even possible to do? And is it possible to have the excel sheet embedded into the PDF so I dont need a second document? (non-tech savvy people at my workpalce). If it is possible, but impossible to have it embedded, please let me know!!!!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Sounds like you want to use a PDF as a UI for Excel. Acrobat cannot connect to Excel, but it is possible to export the excel data as CSV, then acrobat scripts could accomplish this task. However, Excel has it's own UI builder, i.e Excel Forms. Unless there is a compelling reasion to use a PDF, you should use the Excel solution.   

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files are not suited for this kind of dynamic content display. Use Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you want to use a PDF as a UI for Excel. Acrobat cannot connect to Excel, but it is possible to export the excel data as CSV, then acrobat scripts could accomplish this task. However, Excel has it's own UI builder, i.e Excel Forms. Unless there is a compelling reasion to use a PDF, you should use the Excel solution.   

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines