• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to pass an fdf file name from from doc a to doc b and import the fdf to doc b

Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An fdf file has been exported from document A and saved. It’s location and name are constructed from two variables, path + myFilename + ".fdf".

I know that the file name and device independent path are correct.

I placed a hidden field in doc B to receive the value of path + myFilename + ".fdf".

Objective: after doc B opens I want doc B to import my saved fdf file.

I am assuming that I need to pass the value of path + myFilename + ".fdf" to a field in doc B, and then tell doc B to import that fdf file.

Here is the most recent of many unsuccessful attempts to achieve my objective.

//fields in doc A

var myFilename = this.getField("txt.ClientFileName").valueAsString;

var path = this.getField("txt.Path.Client").valueAsString;

var parentPath = this.getField("txtL.Path.Parent").valueAsString;

var forms = this.getField("txtL.Folder.Forms").valueAsString;

var docB = app.openDoc("" + parentPath + forms + "PowerOfAttorney_Seller.pdf");

var docBSource = docB.getField("txt.dataFile");    

docBSource.value = path + myFilename + ".fdf";   

docB.importAnFDF(docBSource.value);

Result: Doc B opens, but the value of path + myFilename + ".fdf" is not passed to docBSource  and the import fails.  Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Change the variable name of "path". There is a built-in property of the Document object with that name and it will conflict with your variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does docB return a non-NULL value?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it does not.

David

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set the property "disclosed" of doc B?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CORRECTION: My apology: my debugger was turned off. Yes, var docBSource = docB.getField("txt.dataFile”); is returning the error “docB is undefined”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the previous question is important and the route to a solution, if there is one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After checking the API reference I added "this.disclosed = true" in a page open action of the first page of docB. However, the API says that app.openDoc checks the disclosed property of the document before returning its Doc. I am doubtful that the page open script accomplishes that objective of making doc B accessible to scripts in doc A. I do not know how to set doc B to disclosed = true in the script below.

I changed my script to the following. Although doc B opens, line 8 below returns "docB undefined" and I am still at a loss as to how to accomplish the objective of opening doc B and having it import the fdf file.

1 //fields in doc A

2 var myFilename = this.getField("txt.ClientFileName").valueAsString;

3 var path = this.getField("txt.Path.Client").valueAsString;

4 var parentPath = this.getField("txtL.Path.Parent").valueAsString;

5 var forms = this.getField("txtL.Folder.Forms").valueAsString;

6   //open doc B and import the fdf file

7 var docB = app.openDoc("" + parentPath + forms + "PowerOfAttorney_Seller.pdf");

8 var docBSource = docB.getField("txt.dataFile");

9   docBSource.value = path + myFilename + ".fdf";

10 var docBImport = docB.importAnFDF(docBSource.value);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to add the script that discloses the file as a doc-level script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added "this.disclosed = true" as a document script in doc B and  I am no longer receiving the error that docB is undefined, so it appears that doc B is now accessible from doc A scripts. However, the values that I want to pass from doc A to doc B are not passed. The last 3 lines of my script behave as described in the bolded comments below.

var docBSource = docB.getField("txt.dataFile"); //this field receives the value of "/Macintosh"

docBSource.value = path + myFilename + ".fdf"; //this value is not passed to docBSource

docB.importAnFDF(docBSource.value); //this behaves as if it were just docB.importAnFDF( "/Macintosh")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your path value formatted as a device independent path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the variable name of "path". There is a built-in property of the Document object with that name and it will conflict with your variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open a document via JavaScript, you are just creating an Object that represents the document, you are not displaying it so none of the page level scripts actually run. Instead, you need to add the code to set the disclosed property at the document level so that it runs immediately after the document loads and before your code has a chance to try to communicate to it from another document. The easiest way to do this is to create an Acrobat Action that injects the JavaScript for you and then run the action on all the files you need to be disclosed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these replies to my original post provided helpful & correct information. Thanks for all of the help. In particular:

• the property "disclosed" needed to be set for doc B. That was accomplished by a document level script, which I did with this:      function disclosed(){this.disclosed = true};      which was added to doc B.
  • I needed to change the variable name of "path" because the word "path" is a Document object name that conflicted with my use of "path" as a variable name.

With those changes, the following script accomplishes the objective that I originally posed. If the script is not placed in a trusted function it returns a security warning asking if I trust the site of the fdf file to be imported, which is why it is now a trusted function.

I also wanted doc B to become the focus after the script executed, which I accomplished by adding  docB.bringToFront(); to the script below:

var openPOASeller = app.trustedFunction(function()

{

//fields in doc A

var myFilename = this.getField("txt.ClientFileName").valueAsString;

var folder = this.getField("txt.Path.Client").valueAsString;

var parentPath = this.getField("txtL.Path.Parent").valueAsString;

var forms = this.getField("txtL.Folder.Forms").valueAsString;

app.beginPriv();

var docB = app.openDoc("" + parentPath + forms + "PowerOfAttorney_Seller.pdf");

var docBSource = docB.getField("txt.dataFile");

docBSource.value = folder + myFilename + ".fdf";

docB.importAnFDF(docBSource.value)

app.endPriv();

}

);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small tip: Don't use "this" in your trusted function. Pass a reference to the document using a parameter, by changing its definition to something like this:

var openPOASeller = app.trustedFunction(function(docA)  {

//fields in doc A

var myFilename = docA.getField("txt.ClientFileName").valueAsString;

etc.

Then you call it like this: openPOASeller(this);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I will do that.

David

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines