• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to validate 2 criteria on an auto calculating field?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There!

I have a client who has a fillable form PDF that he uses for a combination work order/invoice. Not the most hi-tech but it works for him and he likes it.

Currently, the working section of the form has 5 sections, each section is its own field:

Part No.  /  Description  / Quantity / Price / Amount

There are 27 rows of these fields.  Originally the base form was set up in InDesign and had the rows alternating grey and white (as a static design element)

The quantity and price fields, were set us so that when a value is entered, will calculate and place the product in the Amount field.

The Amount field has a validation script on it already to keep the field blank when nothing is entered. (otherwise, it shows up as $0 on every line)

This is the validation script i used:
      if(event.value == 0) event.value = "";

So - here is my challenge:

He wants a change to the form so that this whole section is white, and then where the fields will turn grey when text is entered into it. (on alternating rows still)

I have figured out how to turn these fields grey using a validation script. It works great for the Part No, Description, Quantity & Price fields.

Here is the script that i am using:

color.grey = ["CMYK", 0, 0, 0, 0.3];

var fieldName = "Part*";

if (getField(fieldName).value == "")

{

this.getField(fieldName).fillColor = color.grey;

}

else

{

this.getField(fieldName).fillColor = color.transparent;

}

*with the appropriate field names for the other categories

The problem is when i get to the Amount field. The Amount field already has a validation script in it, and i cannot figure out how to make the two work together.

If i  add the 2nd script in below the first one, it makes the Amount field grey all the time. Same thing if i put the first script below the 2nd. I am a novice when it comes to javascript and am not familiar enough with it to know how to adjust for this scenario to make the scripts work together. I tried searching and have found a couple of threads that discuss having 2 validation scripts but they were for specific scenarios and i was unsuccessful applying that info to my own situation.

Ultimately, i need to know how i can have an autocalculation field that stays blank (ie no text value showing, even 0) and also stays white/transparent when there is no total, but then will turn grey when the fields are actually filled.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am using the most recent Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac.
thank you for your time!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

THANK YOU Bernd & try67!!! this was very helpful direction and helped me tremendously.

With this info, i was able to determine that i also needed to switch my colors (on that one field only). It's working perfectly now.

Here is what i ended up with code wise:

var fieldName = "AMT";

if (event.value == "")

{

}

else

{

this.getFiel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replace the line

if (getField(fieldName).value == "")

by

if (event.value == "")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And simply put the codes one after another, in the same script. Should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU Bernd & try67!!! this was very helpful direction and helped me tremendously.

With this info, i was able to determine that i also needed to switch my colors (on that one field only). It's working perfectly now.

Here is what i ended up with code wise:

var fieldName = "AMT";

if (event.value == "")

{

}

else

{

this.getField(fieldName).fillColor = color.grey;

}

Thank you again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines