I created a time sheet form in Excel and made it into a fillable PDF. I want to calculate the difference between the end time and the start time in the simplified field notation format. I went into Edit and right clicked or double clicked on the answer

New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a time sheet form in Excel and made it into a fillable PDF.  I want to calculate the difference between the end time and the start time in the simplified field notation format.  I went into Edit and right clicked or double clicked on the answer box and went to the Calculate tab and Simplified field notation.  I put in the start and end time (we use military time and I wonder if this is the issue).  If I use the Number format is calculates fine for most anything I put in for the start or end, but if I put a start time of 8:30 and an end time of 12:15, it gives me 3.85 instead of 3.75. What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018
The calculations are primarily doe in binary usually using IEEE 16 bit floating point values. Time is not decimal values since the number of seconds in a minute is 60, the number of minutes in an hour is 60, the number of hours in a day is 24, etc. In order to compute time intervals you need to convert the time string value into a value that can be expressed in decimal values or is based on the time standard. If you convert the the hours and minutes to minutes, compute the difference in minutes,...

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The calculations are primarily doe in binary usually using IEEE 16 bit floating point values. Time is not decimal values since the number of seconds in a minute is 60, the number of minutes in an hour is 60, the number of hours in a day is 24, etc.

In order to compute time intervals you need to convert the time string value into a value that can be expressed in decimal values or is based on the time standard. If you convert the the hours and minutes to minutes, compute the difference in minutes, and then covert the minutes into hours and minutes you still may need to deal with the time intervals that include the change to or from Daylight Savings time or British Summer time.

This question has been asked many times and answered. Many solutions and examples have been posted. You can find them by using the search feature of this forum.

See TimeCalculations.pdf for a working example.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines