• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have entered a formula into a text box to pull calculations from other text boxes, now i want to be able to also manually enter numbers into that text box with a formula. Can i do this?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a formula in adobe pro fillable forms the formula works fine, but i need to be able to manually enter numbers into it as well.

Is this something that i can do?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain more, and be clear. Provide a screen shot

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a formula in the text box under total, it calculates anything that is put into the #of Km's as well as breakfast/Lunch/Dinner Columns. I want the option to be able to manually enter say 25.00 into the total text box but still keeping the formula.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to override the calculation. This can be done, but it's tricky. 

First, your calculation has to be a custom script that uses "event.value" to set the Total field value, and does not have any standard formatting.

Next. the "event.rc" property enables or overrides setting the calculation value. So the issue is, "how do you set and clear this value?"

The answer is to use the keystroke event to set an override indicator.

Add this code to the keystroke event.

if(event.willCommit) event.target.setOverride = (event.value !="");

And add this code to the top of your calculation script

event.rc = !event.target.setOverride

Entering any value into the total field will overrride the calculation,

Clearing the value from the total field will reset the override and allow the calculation to continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so where would i enter in the formula that i need to calculate the other text boxes? Also where do i put they Keystroke Event?

sorry i am very new with the adobe so i don't know a lot about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the formula that i have right now is

Text62*0.55+Text32*15+Text33*15+Text34*21

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to convert it to JavaScript code.

Another option, beside what Thom described, is to add a condition to the calculation script to only update the value using the formula if the field that triggered the event (the "source" of it) is one of those fields that appear in the formula. That will allow you to manually override it, but that manual value will be overwritten if you change one of those fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two pages on writing JavaScript calculations

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Calculating-field-values-and-more.cfm

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-to-do-not-so-simple-form-calculations

To perform the action suggested by Try67, add this code as the first line of your calculation script:

event.rc = (event.targetName != event.source.name);

This doesn't really work because the field value is not maintained.  You need a simple state machine to latch the value in. And then a specific reset condition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can work the way I described, and there's no need for this "state machine". Let's take a simple example where you have two fields called Text1 and Text2 and the value of Text2 should be twice that of Text1, but should also be possible to enter manually.

Using this code as the custom calculation script of Text2 will achieve that:

if (event.source && event.source.name=="Text1") event.value = Number(this.getField("Text1").valueAsString)*2;

The manually entered value will be kept, even if a third field is edited. It will only update automatically when Text1 is edited.

Of course, if the value is dependent on multiple fields then they all need to be added to the first part of the if-statement, but the principle is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried entering this and can not seem to get it to calculate - Can i send you my document so you can see better what i am trying todo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but you should know I usually charge for private consultations. You can send it to [try6767 at gmail.com], if you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines