• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I installed Acrobat Pro 9 on a new Macbook Pro but I keep getting a Repair Setup message and Acrobat won't function...

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro with OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.4. I tried installing my Adobe Creative Suite 4 which I've had since college. All of the programs seem to be working, at least for the most part, except when I try and open Acrobat Pro 9 I get a Repair Setup message that says:

"Acrobat has detected that there are missing components that require repair. Select the optional components you would like to pre air and click Continue. Deselect a component to completely remove it. Click Cancel to cancel the component repair process."

The components it's saying need repair are Adobe PDF Printer and Adobe PDFViewer Safari Plugin.

No matter which option I select, whether it's Continue or Cancel or deselect the components the same thing happens. Which is absolutely nothing. The window goes away and the top toolbar only shows the word "Acrobat", but I can't click on it to see any drop down options, there are no other options on the toolbar. The only thing that I can do is force quit the program. If I try and open a pdf file it automatically is opened in Preview and if I try and right click and tell it to open in Acrobat, nothing happens. It "opens" Acrobat, but the same thing happens where I can't click on anything in the tool bar and the file doesn't open and I have to force quit.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Hey - I've been having this exact same issue after purchasing a new macbook and successfully installing my good old CS4 suite - EXCEPT for problems installing Acrobat Pro 9.

I've just found something that seems to have helped: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/9.x/9.1/misc/

I downloaded this update and it seems to have done the trick - but only if I also have the most recent Acrobat DC trial installed (which has long since expired).

Without the presence of DC, it won't work.

Hope it helps so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, even though your error message may not seem related to the issue discussed in this link, try it:

http://mac-how-to.wonderhowto.com/how-to/open-third-party-apps-from-unidentified-developers-mac-os-x...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work. I changed the settings to allow anything, I re-installed the programs, but it's still doing the same thing. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when first starting acrobat, do you see this option, Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro refuses to install on El Ca... | Apple Support Communities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I've never seen that "Install Extras" popup message. I did however not see that Repair Setup message the last time I reinstalled the software. But I'm still experiencing the exact same issue that that person is having, where you only see "Acrobat" in the top left corner and no drop down menu options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know how to help you further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's generally stated that Acrobat 9 isn't compatible with Mac OS 10.11. If you upgrade your hardware or system or both, it's probably time to upgrade your apps. Apple don't try to hard to keep old software running, and Adobe only update the current version. It's all changing faster and faster so I can only recommend a subscription. If you want to protect your investment in CS4, have an old frozen system for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - I've been having this exact same issue after purchasing a new macbook and successfully installing my good old CS4 suite - EXCEPT for problems installing Acrobat Pro 9.

I've just found something that seems to have helped: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/9.x/9.1/misc/

I downloaded this update and it seems to have done the trick - but only if I also have the most recent Acrobat DC trial installed (which has long since expired).

Without the presence of DC, it won't work.

Hope it helps solve your problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update helped me resolve the issue.  I downloaded and installed AcroProUpd910_all.dmg....from the link above and now Acrobat works like a charm!  Thank you HoorayHerbert! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanlk you! It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me as well, although I performed an auto install.

I was never givien the option to install or not various components, so just let it continue. 

Launched DC Reader to ensure sucess. Quit Reader, Shut Down System, then restarted. Launched Acrobat Pro without error message. Opened a local .pdf and it opened like a champ. I also noticed that "recent docs" remained populated.

Thanks HoorayHerbert. Very grateful indeed to you, and the Adobe forums to research issues with "classic" software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines