• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to be able to edit a PDF (with dynmic database form and bubbling feature)

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering what the best approach for this would be.

Here's my problem at hand:

Hopefully this can be done on a web page (ASP.Net)...

1) Allow user to open a previously created PDF

2) when the user click son the document, I create a bubble\Oval where they clicked

3)  this click will open a form (specific to that click) and allow the user to enter data (maybe 5 fields) attached to a databse

4)  if the user clicks another area, it replicates the same steps listed above

5)  user can then save the document

6)  if they re-open that doc again, it should show all the bubbles\ovals create on page and when each bubble\oval is clicked, it displays that form with the data previously entered

What is the best approach to take here with Adobe products?

Buy acrobat along with the acrobat sdk?  I will install this on a customer's iis box.  Not sure how licensing occurs here with multiple users etc...

Thanks,

Tim

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

There are many different PDF SDKs out there. iText and the DataLogics PDF libraries are the best. But there is also QuickPDF form Foxit, which is super simple, PDF Box and PDF Clown, which are open source, but very detailed. And there are others.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you are asking can probably be done with other technology, but not with Acrobat and the SDK as they are not licensed (or tested) for use on a server.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Malcolm.  Any suggestions as to which technology?  The file will be a PDF.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many different PDF SDKs out there. iText and the DataLogics PDF libraries are the best. But there is also QuickPDF form Foxit, which is super simple, PDF Box and PDF Clown, which are open source, but very detailed. And there are others.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are also other ways to do bubbling. The Perfect Acrobat tool for this is a dynamic stamp. In fact I wrote such an application.  If your a member you can download it from here: Ballooning Tool . Although it is not as complex as you described, it could be modified to pull data from a server DB to place on the stamp. This would be much easier than writing a server side application to inject complex graphic content into a PDF.  It also deals with the issue of the UI for your proposed bubbling app, which if it's on iis, is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom,

I am wondering if you have time to speak about this.  It's a project for a client.  Curious if you are interested in completing this process for us.  Let me know if interested, you can call me at 919-608-5540 to discuss. 

Thanks,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I sent you a message through this site. Couldn't leave a message on your phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines