Import data from excel and create multiple separate forms in Adobe

Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to auto populate pdf forms from excel (like mailmerge in word). I have multiple rows in excel and when I import data from the excel sheet, i would like each row to be created as a separate form in Adobe. I consulted with Adobe support and googled. It sounded like I needed a javascript and a custom action. Could someone help me with the script and guidnace on how to implement this in Adobe?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import data from excel and create multiple separate forms in Adobe

Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to auto populate pdf forms from excel (like mailmerge in word). I have multiple rows in excel and when I import data from the excel sheet, i would like each row to be created as a separate form in Adobe. I consulted with Adobe support and googled. It sounded like I needed a javascript and a custom action. Could someone help me with the script and guidnace on how to implement this in Adobe?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A while ago I wrote a blog post about just that: Batch-Import List Data into PDF Form - KHKonsulting LLC

This will import a tab separated text file, If you want to automate that from within Excel, that can be done as well, but is a bit more complex. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sent the wrong link. What you want to do is described here: Batch-Import Excel Data into PDF Forms - KHKonsulting LLC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did look at this post and had trouble with below part. When I clicked on Doc.importTextData, it took me to general how to on JavaScript.

you can use the Acrobat JavaScript method Doc.importTextData() to import one record at a time (just like we did manually before). Take a look at the documentation for this method: Doc.importTextData

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Adobe changed the site with the JavaScript API documentation, and my links are now just going to the main page. You can however navigate the hierarchy yourself: On the left side, you should see a tree view of the contents of SDK documentation - and based on what I just tried, you should see the JavaScript API documentation expanded. Go to "Doc" and expand it, then expand "Doc methods" and go down to importTextData. Anytime you work with Acrobat's JavaScript, you will have to consult the API documentation, so if you get familiar with how to navigate this document, it will help you in the future. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find example scripts for this here (including an automation tool, similar to Karl's, for importing selected data)

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/ExcelAndAcrobat.cfm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe (not 100% sure) that is should be available from the PDFMaker plugin in Excel, too.

I've developed a (paid-for) tool that allows you to do it directly in Acrobat, with some additional features which are not available in the built-in function. You can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Mail Merge and Email PDF Files

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2018 0
Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video tutorial

Using Data Merge in Adobe InDesign - auto fill text fields and pages - YouTube

its like mailmerge in Word. Create text boxes in the Master > Window >Utilities> DataMerge and import the csv or txt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2019 0