• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to combine multiple PDF files into one PDF based on a key text as a parameter for the

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it possible to combine multiple PDF files into one PDF based on a key text as a parameter for the collation?

I have 3 PDF files

• File 1: Cover letters
  • File 2: Account statements
  • File 3: Application

Each file contains documents that correspond to different users.

Each document is identified by a key text that is the user's code. The user code is always printed in the same place on each type of document.

The combined PDF should show the pages following this scheme:

• Cover letter - user 1
  • Account statement - user 1
  • Application - user 1
  • Cover letter - user 2
  • Account Statement - User 2
  • Request - user 2
  • Cover letter - user 3
  • Account status - user 3
  • Request - user 3
  • etc...

Is it possible to do this with Acrobat?  If possible, where can I get an example of how to achieve this type  of combination?

If it is not possible to do this kind of combination directly with Acrobat, any idea how it can be done using programming code?

The files contain documents from hundreds of users and therefore manually collating would be very complicated and time consuming.

Thank you in advance for any idea or suggestion you can give me.

Regards.

Aldo.

(Sorry if I made a mistake when writing, I only know a little English)

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In principle, yes, it's possible to do that with a script. However, there are various limitations to it.

For starters, the data in the files has to be readable (ie, not part of an image) and also consistent so the script could recognize it. Assuming both of those things are true then it should be possible.

However, Acrobat's memory handling is pretty bad, especially when it comes to scripts, and processing files with hundreds of pages might prove too much for it. The alternative is to use a stand-alone tool to do it, which is more robust and doesn't rely on Acrobat for processing the files.

I've developed many such tools (both scripts and stand-alones) for my clients and would be happy to have a look at some of your files and let you know if I think it's doable in your case, and what would be the best approach to do it, as well as the price. You can contact me privately via [try6767 at gmail.com] to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines