• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to populate a PDF from FDF data? (Receiving FDF to Azure since PDF file is too large)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a PDF that contains the usual fillable form data, text boxes, dropdowns, etc. I will be sending this out to clients and they will be filling it out and submitting the form, this form will go up to Azure and be pulled down into my application. As part of this process, the document that has been submitted will need to be reviewed in my application by a different user before being approved.

This is where I am having difficulty since I can't submit the file as a PDF to Azure since its too large in file size, I can however submit the file as an FDF (which to my knowledge just contains the form field data and not the likes of labels, etc.), my problem is trying to read this FDF file in the application, since it's not containing all of the data as a PDF would. 

So my question is, is it possible to receive the file as an FDF when the client submits it, and then populate the PDF with the FDF data that I have received? Since the PDF I will be populating will be the exact same as the one that the client submitted the data from, I will then be able to use a PDF viewer in my application to properly show the PDF and the file size won't be an issue as I will be populating the PDF file on my end rather than it being submitted through Azure. 

Any help appreciated, 

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Yes, you are able to open a FDF file in a PDF and it should populate the form,  you can look at the importAnFDF and exportAnFDF as methods that can make it easier to work with FDF's.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So would this importAnFDF method be on a mouse up function within the PDF document, where I would potentially pass in the FDF document path into this call? i.e. importAnFDF(document path) which would then fill out the PDF with the FDF data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You just have to double-clic a FDF file for Acrobat automatically opens and populate data in the corresponding PDF, if Acrobat cannot find the PDF (file path) it will prompt you to select it.

"is it possible to receive the file as an FDF when the client submits it"

Yes.

"my problem is trying to read this FDF file in the application"

You should try to export the data to a XFDF (XML structure) file or to a HTML file, which should be easier to parse.

FDF is a "for Acrobat only" data interchange format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines