• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to copy comments AND all replies to a separate document?

New Here ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team and I work a lot with comments and replies and often have to copy them on to a separate document. How we have done it in the past is copy the original comment (it does not copy any of the replies) and then manually re-enter the replies and change the properties to the name of the person that actually made the reply. I thought there has to be a better way to do this. Any help is much appreciated.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export all the the comments to a data file (FDF) and then import it

in the target file. Both commands are available under the Options button in

the Comments list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import it to where? I can't import it in InDesign or open it to copy the text and put it elsewhere. it used to be easy to copy comment text and place it into InDesign; now it seems difficult or impossible. Another "improvement" on Adobe's part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To a blank copy of the PDF, using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have been clearer. I want to copy comments and paste them into InDesign, which used to be easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask in the InDesign forums.

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 02:46 Grundoon Groundhog <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help: Document Geek: How to Extract Text From Locked Comments within an Acrobat Shared Review

If your comments are locked, you'll have to open the comment bubble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. It used to be possible to import comments from one PDF to another. Has that facility been "improved" out of existence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll just need to export them as FDF and then import them into your other PDF. https://creativepro.com/working-with-fdfs-forms-data-files/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what was done in one step now has to be done in two. I tried that and the comments no longer appear on the same PDF pages, only in the comments list. Not an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have done so. I really have to wonder about Adobe's decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a script that will do this. https://franciscomorales.org/2012/10/18/how-to-extract-highlighted-text-from-a-pdf-file/

I tested it on a document with 6 comments, of which 3 had replies. It broke the comments into tow groups, as shown below. The replies were grouped together, as opposed to being next to their original comment. But this is a start and I bet a scripter could work on the script to get it to do what you want. At least this way you wouldn't have to copy and paste each comment and reply individually.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 11.45.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines